• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandatory HR workshops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory HR workshops

Hi all,

This is only my second contract so this maybe has an obvious answer.

My client has told me that I must take mandatory diversity/inclusion training. (Not because I've done anything...it's applicable to all employees and contractors...)

Is this normal? It feels off to me and (side rant) HR workshops are generally ******* terrible and a waste of time.

I don't want to impact the relationship with my client so I think I have to go anyway (I want an extension in January...) but wondered if this was a normal experience.

Thanks

it's applicable to all employees and contractors...)
    No IR35 issues here.

Client is just protecting themselves and/or fulfilling their legal responsibilities.

You may also have to do one about fraud and other obligations that might affect your client if they are in a regulated area of business as well. The enhanced H&S ones on nuclear sites are quite interesting. As was the arms dealing awareness thing you have to do on some defence sites as well.

JFDI
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it normal for companies to make HR workshops mandatory for contractors? More out of curiousity than outrage

FCA/fraud etc would probably make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Tindog View Post
        Hi all,

This is only my second contract so this maybe has an obvious answer.

My client has told me that I must take mandatory diversity/inclusion training. (Not because I've done anything...it's applicable to all employees and contractors...)

Is this normal? It feels off to me and (side rant) HR workshops are generally ******* terrible and a waste of time.

I don't want to impact the relationship with my client so I think I have to go anyway (I want an extension in January...) but wondered if this was a normal experience.

Thanks
        Just make sure you dress as a transgender Buddhist nun and you'll be fine.

Comment

... a waste of time...
          If you are billing the client, it is not a waste of time. It might not be productive use of your time, but it is a profitable use of it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Not because I've done anything
            Are you sure about that?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Are you sure about that?
              No comment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No IR35 issues here.
                Client is just protecting themselves and/or fulfilling their legal responsibilities.
                Genuine question. Is the client legally responsible for transgressions made by 3rd-party contractors (i.e. non-employees) in the area of diversity/inclusion?

If a builder walks on site and makes a smutty remark about the secretary's ample cleavage, is the client company to blame?

Are all 3rd-party visitors to the client company's site required to undertake "mandatory diversity/inclusion training" ?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Genuine question. Is the client legally responsible for transgressions made by 3rd-party contractors (i.e. non-employees) in the area of diversity/inclusion?

If a builder walks on site and makes a smutty remark about the secretary's ample cleavage, is the client company to blame?

Are all 3rd-party visitors to the client company's site required to undertake "mandatory diversity/inclusion training" ?
                  In this day and age is it worth taking the risk? Put some safeguards in and if it does happen you can prove you'd done what you can.

I'm sure if the secretary sues the company for allowing people on site to make her feel like that the company will end up paying out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    Depends on company to company. However at my current place you need to undergo full onboarding if you want a pass or system access.

Comment

Working...
                    X