• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being asked to undertake a different role to the contracted duties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being asked to undertake a different role to the contracted duties

Morning,

I’m currently under contract as a business analyst 5 days a week until the middle of next year.

However there is a shortfall of resource on the project and I suspect I’ll be asked to spend half my time doing business analysis on a project, and half my time doing project management.

I was thinking I get two contracts with the same client drawn up, as I’m supplying two different services...or am I being too pedantic? Theoretically they could have two different day rates....

Any advice gratefully received...

Thanks

You are not being pedantic. You should be doing this to protect your IR35 status.

The thread below starts off on a slightly different theme but a long discussion about why you should do as you suggested.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-utilised.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are being pedantic. Suck it up.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        +1

Comment

It could be an issue if this contract was subject to an IR35 investigation.

However, how likely are agent and client to be amenable issuing 'dual' contracts to you? Great if they will but I'll be surprised if they do.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPM View Post
            Morning,

I’m currently under contract as a business analyst 5 days a week until the middle of next year.

However there is a shortfall of resource on the project and I suspect I’ll be asked to spend half my time doing business analysis on a project, and half my time doing project management.

I was thinking I get two contracts with the same client drawn up, as I’m supplying two different services...or am I being too pedantic? Theoretically they could have two different day rates....
            One contract is sufficient. But you need another statement of work describing the PM role, deliverables, outcomes etc, or else you've converted yourself to a disguised employee.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              +1

Comment

It can all be done under a single contract. Get an updated statement of work (or draft it yourself) and then provide a quote for the PM / BA role.

Comment

Working...
                X