• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you choose as your next permanent opportunity out of these? Pros and Cons?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you choose as your next permanent opportunity out of these? Pros and Cons?

Hello,

I am getting a ton of perm opportunities and these are some of the interesting ones:

1) Less than 10yrs old tech company offering £60k + 3k per annum per employee on training. I get to learn Python and one other hot tech as part of my new job. Commute will probably cost me £2.5k a year.
    2) One of the "Big four" companies, also offering £65k. Role is based on what I already know, in house development, and it is close to my home.
    3) Wait out until January / Feb / March for more perm opportunities and continue to do contracting for now.

From what I know about 1 and 2 above:

1) The work here will not be too mind consuming as I already know the topic well so I can use this opportunity to learn new hot tech such as Python, good chance I will be an even more senior within a year, and maybe even a director by 2/3 years. The company is due to double in size within the next two years. I have some doubts about their growth but it seems interesting. Maybe I could try this for a year, learn the things hard and grow my skill-set and leave?

2) This one feels like a comfort option, with up-coming uncertainty in the UK maybe it is a good time to settle here? It's close to home so my travel costs may not be high, good reputation, name looks good on CV, but maybe I will not learn much because this is a giant company and I may be just a cog in a machine. Should I interview this company and find out more? I have worked with these type of big four's in the past on projects so know roughly what to expect.

I am quite interested in widening and growing my skill-sets, building a good reputation.

Please share your input from these options

Why don't you ask on PermanentUK.com??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No. Lots of people here have posted about perm opportunities so will I.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
        No. Lots of people here have posted about perm opportunities so will I.
        OK... :|
        Last edited by northernladuk; 2 November 2017, 11:20.

Comment

Take option 2 and close the CUK account

Did you check their Glassdoor reviews?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 2 November 2017, 11:23.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
            Please share your input from these options
            Which one offers the least onerous appraisal process?

Comment

The only point in going perm is to retrain/train in new skills and become more senior. Which opportunity will give you that?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Probably because there's a lot of permies on here who may have contracted at one time in their lives, or who have thought about contracting.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I too have been inundated with permanent opportunities of late. Every recruiter I have spoken too has said it's a massively candidate focused market so if you wanted to get out of contracting now would be the time to do it.

I was talking to my girlfriend about a (relatively minor) mistake she made at work last week - how there had to be a review process involving her manager, HR, etc. - literally made me realise that money was only about 30% of the reason I went contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    I too have been inundated with permanent opportunities of late. Every recruiter I have spoken too has said it's a massively candidate focused market so if you wanted to get out of contracting now would be the time to do it.
                    Could this be because both you and the OP are very new contractors so still look like a permie on your CVs and LinkedIn? Not got the message across to the recruiters etc. I am sure this will reduce as you contract more. Not go completely but go down.
                    I was talking to my girlfriend about a (relatively minor) mistake she made at work last week - how there had to be a review process involving her manager, HR, etc. - literally made me realise that money was only about 30% of the reason I went contracting.
                    Instead of just getting walked off site?

Comment

Working...
                    X