• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100k perm + options its a Punt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Afternoon all

i have recently been approached about a perm role working along side a mate of mine. Good company, good tech etc. Offering 100k plus stock, WFH mostly . I normally contract out at 550-650 a day which is more but doesn't factor in perm benefits etc and I'm commuting 3/4 hrs a day on average, what does the learn-ed panel say? Take it or stick to contracting? It may be worth a punt IMO
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No brainer for me. Take it, give it 6 months and see and then go from there.
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Take it, if it works out great, if it doesn't then back to contracting - you're not losing out by doing it
    Both what they say.

I've done it a couple of times for a 100k base + shares. I've found that overtime that's grown, with my last gig getting to 250k a year with all the shares/benefits. Once you reach that point though you feel like you've become owned.

Anyway, nothing to lose.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Afternoon all

i have recently been approached about a perm role working along side a mate of mine. Good company, good tech etc. Offering 100k plus stock, WFH mostly . I normally contract out at 550-650 a day which is more but doesn't factor in perm benefits etc and I'm commuting 3/4 hrs a day on average, what does the learn-ed panel say? Take it or stick to contracting? It may be worth a punt IMO
    550-650 normally translates to 80K in the perm world. This is a no brainer for u.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Problem is with a 3 months notice which you will undoubtedly have after 6 or more months it will be virtually impossible to find a contract
    I left before my probation was up. You should know by then.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    The latter . Am mulling it over.
    You'll find it's more that the money but the lifestyle and freedom that contracting gives over permiedom. For me, there is always light at the end of the tunnel for a contract, so i know I can always look forward to leaving if the role/client is pants. Not having this in a permie job would be quite stressful for me at least after so many years in the contracting game.

Only you will know though what works for you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I ain't gone yet bro still waiting for the official offer letter innit
    Bye

Oddly you will be in my line of work.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Just to bring closure to this thread folks I have indeed accepted the perm role, am keeping the Ltd open until the end of the tax year as by then I will have an answer to the eternal question from the Clash (will I stay or will I go...), but 100k perm WFH with options mean I may be waving goodbye for good in a few months time 😢
    I think you made a good decision based on the current contracting climate and maybe more importantly with one eye on future IR35 changes.

It all depends on what you want most from work/contracting - money, skills development, work/life balance or happiness? I contract to allow more time off each year but my income has worked out a bit lower than I planned.

During a contract last year, I turned down the chance to go perm at the client. Whilst the salary was fairly good, there was little package so overall I didn't feel I could take the drop in income. I've since started another contract and I really miss the previous role where I was a lot happier. Sometimes money isn't everything (though it helps!)

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Taaaaaxi!!!
    I ain't gone yet bro still waiting for the official offer letter innit

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Taaaaaxi!!!

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    You still here?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    TBH In 5 years the IPO should have happened and I'll be too busy deciding what colour Ferrari to buy to worry about that
    You still here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X