• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do/Should I consider a junior role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the replies so far, much appreciated....

It is a tricky one really....I will go for the interview (just "losing" the train fare really)...

An alternative is to find a permie (so I can try to build up more Linux, Ansible, etc skills/experience).....I am not twiddling my thumbs. Basically wake up 6:30am every week day and work on my lab/course material for the certifications. Money is always welcome of course, but at the moment I am only losing out, financially, in terms of topping up my pension funds....

The problems I can see (if they offer me the gig) are:

- Work in service desk, which might include take calls;
    - How to "write" this on my CV

Hoping to receive more replies....

Comment

Originally posted by rb51 View Post
      - Work in service desk, which might include take calls;
      Surely this alone is enough to make you shiver down your spine? :-)

Also is this sort of role not an IR35 nightmare?

Have you got any contacts from prior jobs / role / gigs you can grease up for some very temporary work? Could you offer your time to a charitable organisation looking to innovate and use the skills you're moving into?

Comment

I will go for the interview (just "losing" the train fare really)...
        I don't really see contract interviews like that. More business development

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
          I don't really see contract interviews like that. More business development
          That's true - never hurts to put yourself in front of a project manager / the guy running the resource requirements at ClientCo - never know what may be around the corner for them.

Comment

Be warned, if you take a lower or junior role, you may have trouble securing the contract after that at your accepted level. Agents and clients are notoriously thick and think you can only do the job \ level of yourprevious contract.

However, even a lower role is better than no role.

Comment

I disagree with some of the answers.
              You're a business, you need to be generating revenue. Take the role. Your CV will say whatever you want it to say. Service desk support could be " Offering deep, expert advice to professional software users", guru emeritus.

Comment

hi all,

Hope you guys can help....I am in IT Infrastructure...

Finished my last (1st contract) in July. Decided to take some time off to study and take Linux certification(s). All planned. Passed first exam, now studying for next level up. I am not desperate in terms of needing money to survive....

Got a call for a junior role basically doing service desk stuff - Banking (money okay for this type of role - 17% less of 1st contract).

Questions:

1) As I have no Banking experience on my CV, would this be a kind of good opportunity albeit at a junior role service desk crap?

2) Linked to Q1: Will this have a bad impact on my CV, i.e. spending time doing service desk crap? Would I be able to "hide" or kind of cleverly write experience/tasks on my CV once gig ends (if it materialises)?

what do you guys think?

*if it was a junior Linux role, paying really low I would not mind as I need to put more opensource experience on my CV
                The agency might well encourage you to go for it but I doubt you would get the role unless they are desperate its not like there are not 1000 other contractors with the same technical exp for this role!

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  Nonsense.

I'm constantly getting calls about the 3 months I did with Technology X back in 200n & I always have to tell the agents that they're wasting their time as I am a bit rusty WRT to that particular skillset.
                  Getting a call and getting an interview are two very different things. Agents will ring you because you might know someone who is current on the skill.

Comment

Personally working in IT Infrastructure, going to a Service Desk role would be a waste of time for the progression of your career a big step back in terms of your skillset unless it's a Linux SD role.

If I spoke to any of the contractors I work with now and said that I wanted to go work in our Service Desk, they'd laugh me out the building!

Comment

Originally posted by spongeym View Post
                      If I spoke to any of the contractors I work with now and said that I wanted to go work in our Service Desk, they'd laugh me out the building!
                      The OP has been on the bench for four months.

If a portrait artist was short of work and you offered them a grand to paint your house, they would take it. A stonemason would build a brick wall likewise. A cabinet maker would put up a shelf, again with no long term detriment to their business model.

IMO, it's not about building a career, that's for employees. It's about building a business. When I entered into business, I left my ego at the door. I would do it, though I understand that many would not.

Comment

Working...
                      X