• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are HMRC killing UK SMEs? To help fund US Corporations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are HMRC killing UK SMEs? To help fund US Corporations?

Interesting article in the Register today: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...ove_to_amazon/

Rapid recovery after Brexit is going to be so much harder if our own public sector can't even work out how to buy from innovative UK SMEs that pay UK taxes and add support the UK's Social Value Act!

US Corporations give better kick backs.

Comment

Because the Chancellor is a Twunt, and the Treasury is (morally) bankrupt.
      Last edited by Scruff; 25 October 2017, 07:19.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Because the Chancellor is a Twunt, and the Treasury is (morally) bankrupt.
        I think its as much permanent staff and especially contracting staff wanting AWS on their CV. Equally they recruit people with AWS skills who complain where is x,y,z until management give up and just start to use AWS. Then rapidly everything moves to AWS as its easier.

All the private cloud companies are still where AWS was 12 years ago providing infrastructure as a service with a little to few Software as a service addons. Its highly unlikely anyone except for Microsoft will catch up with Amazon simply because of the $bns that would be required...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Agree but..

I agree that nobody can compete with the big US corporations but not because of the investment needed, there are plenty of excellent UK cloud providers that could compete but there seems to be something much darker going on:

https://diginomica.com/2017/10/26/bu...zon-microsoft/

Comment

Originally posted by Nominally View Post
            there are plenty of excellent UK cloud providers that could compete

Comment

Originally posted by Nominally View Post
              plenty of excellent UK cloud providers that could compete
              Um...

Comment

Ermm okay....

ok, fair point, perhaps not plenty [!] but rather than kicking UK SMEs (which includes many of us on this forum), how about challenging this sort of behaviour?

The following video is a bit dramatic but simply/clearly illustrates the damage being done by corporate exploitation of global tax complexity: Uncover the truth that?s keeping people in poverty | Oxfam GB

If Gov UK started to wake up and use the Social Value Act, Open Data Standards and other tools at its' disposal as well as helping to raise public awareness of the £116Bn avoided by large corporations in UK then perhaps we wouldn't be quite so badly targeted for a poxy £100M that HMRC reckons we (UK SMEs) are hiding.

Comment

It is because people at HM Treasury and hmrc are, basically, arsewipes who think individualism is the antithesis of everything they believe.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    It is because people at HM Treasury and hmrc are, basically, arsewipes who think individualism is the antithesis of everything they believe.
                    They "can't have it", so we can't either...

Comment

Working...
                    X