• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is this a good rate for Zurich ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
    So this supports my claim that you are not tax resident in the UK if you : "Work full time overseas (equivalent full time hours, so part time or rotational work does not count)"

As the OP will work full time for six months he will not have to be UK tax resident
    I posted the full set of rules, if you retain your home and spend 30 days there in one year you are UK tax resident unless you have a home in the other country. A home in the other country requires more proof than a simple rental agreement.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 25 October 2017, 12:36.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

So this supports my claim that you are not tax resident in the UK if you : "Work full time overseas (equivalent full time hours, so part time or rotational work does not count)"

As the OP will work full time for six months he will not have to be UK tax resident
      No it doesn't. As EEK and BB point out, there is a lot more to it. An individual has to meet all parts of a test not just one part. This is often the problem, whereby people make decisions on their tax or social security contributions based on only one small part of a much wider piece of legislation.

There is in fact not much point in becoming non resident for tax purposes in the UK when by doing to you become solely taxable in a high tax country. In the case where the local tax is higher than UK you might as well remain UK resident and just use the foreign tax credit to reduce your UK liability to nil.

It is generally only worthwhile considering Non resident status when you are earning the majority of your income in a low tax country over a period which will encompass at least one complete UK tax year. It is then possible to look at split years either side, but at no point would a single contract of 6 months meet all the rules for non residency.

Haven't even covered the social security aspect here, which is, again as general rule, payable where you work unless you have an A1 Certificate.

Obviously I do not know all of the OP's circumstances, and this is just generic information. If there are other periods of work outside of the UK to consider, either prior to this contract or subsequent contracts it may be something to think about. At which point, speak to an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        You need more like CHF1800 for Zurich.

And as the pound continues to tank you will need more.....
        Lol why is that? If the pound tanks you will get more money? - The answer to everything is not Brexit ...

Comment

Originally posted by JSBoy View Post
          I would get paid by the payroll in CHF, so if GBP falls against CHF, my swiss franc's buys more £'s (??)
          It's just a very poor attempt ay trolling from BP.

Personally, I feel that is a great rate for Zurich if you keep the variable costs down like hotels and flights. The only hassle would be the taxation aspect which is what stops me from pursuing any European gigs. All the best and update us on how it goes.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at IPAYE View Post
            No it doesn't. As EEK and BB point out, there is a lot more to it. An individual has to meet all parts of a test not just one part. This is often the problem, whereby people make decisions on their tax or social security contributions based on only one small part of a much wider piece of legislation.

There is in fact not much point in becoming non resident for tax purposes in the UK when by doing to you become solely taxable in a high tax country. In the case where the local tax is higher than UK you might as well remain UK resident and just use the foreign tax credit to reduce your UK liability to nil.

It is generally only worthwhile considering Non resident status when you are earning the majority of your income in a low tax country over a period which will encompass at least one complete UK tax year. It is then possible to look at split years either side, but at no point would a single contract of 6 months meet all the rules for non residency.

Haven't even covered the social security aspect here, which is, again as general rule, payable where you work unless you have an A1 Certificate.

Obviously I do not know all of the OP's circumstances, and this is just generic information. If there are other periods of work outside of the UK to consider, either prior to this contract or subsequent contracts it may be something to think about. At which point, speak to an accountant.
            Thanks a lot for this information - Very useful

Just so that I dont open a new thread on non resident tax if you have a contract which is for 18 months long does that show that you are non resident for the duration of the contract.

What specific steps do people take to prove non tax resident apart from ticking the box on their self assessment?

Comment

Thanks a lot for this information - Very useful

Just so that I dont open a new thread on non resident tax if you have a contract which is for 18 months long does that show that you are non resident for the duration of the contract.

What specific steps do people take to prove non tax resident apart from ticking the box on their self assessment?
              What I've done is;

1. Opened local back
              2. Registed locally with tax
              3. Exhanged my driving licence
              4. Rented my house in UK out
              5. Local health insuracne
              6. Local sim
              7. I only return to UK about 2/3 days every 6 weeks or so

...and I fear that may not be enough, but it doebn't matter too much, since tax here is higher than UK, my goal is EU PR and possible settle here. I like it here, even though everything here annoys me, the high tax, the cost of running a car (1800 road tax) car insurance, suppose I thrive on conflict....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                What I've done is;

1. Opened local back
                2. Registed locally with tax
                3. Exhanged my driving licence
                4. Rented my house in UK out
                5. Local health insuracne
                6. Local sim
                7. I only return to UK about 2/3 days every 6 weeks or so

...and I fear that may not be enough, but it doebn't matter too much, since tax here is higher than UK, my goal is EU PR and possible settle here. I like it here, even though everything here annoys me, the high tax, the cost of running a car (1800 road tax) car insurance, suppose I thrive on conflict....
                Which country - Ireland? is that not the UK?

Yup good steps - I ve done a lot of them already

You really are worried about EU perm residence? Seriously??

Comment

if you have a house and family in UK , you ill be UK resident for tax purposes
                  be ready to hand over 45% of your income to hector

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    if you have a house and family in UK , you ill be UK resident for tax purposes
                    be ready to hand over 45% of your income to hector
                    So you can't have property in UK and can't leave any children or parents behind in UK and not avail oneself of DTAs anywhere?

New one on me.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      So you can't have property in UK and can't leave any children or parents behind in UK and not avail oneself of DTAs anywhere?

New one on me.
                      And me, i had PRA in NL before i had to relocate <again>

Comment

Working...
                      X