• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is this a good rate for Zurich ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DTA's do apply, but they are only there to decide the order of taxation, not to remove taxation entirely, and to provide for foreign tax credits.

If you become non resident in a country where you call home, then you are just removing a country from that order.

So if you are ordinarily resident in the UK for tax purposes, and you work in Switzerland, you pay tax first in Switzerland at Swiss rates, and then any balancing payments due in the UK, based on the UK tax calculation, less foreign tax paid.

If you become non resident in the UK there is no balancing payment to make.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
      Thanks a lot for this information - Very useful

Just so that I dont open a new thread on non resident tax if you have a contract which is for 18 months long does that show that you are non resident for the duration of the contract.

What specific steps do people take to prove non tax resident apart from ticking the box on their self assessment?
      If the contract is 18 months long then you potentially meet one of the requirements for being non resident. You would need to take specific advice based on your personal circumstances, the contract and future plans, before deciding if becoming non resident was appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        So you can't have property in UK and can't leave any children or parents behind in UK and not avail oneself of DTAs anywhere?

New one on me.
        If your wife is in the UK they will assume you are resident in the UK unless you are divorced or separated. Very difficult to counter that one, that is usually a slam-dunk, i.e. your home is where your wife is.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          If your wife is in the UK they will assume you are resident in the UK unless you are divorced or separated. Very difficult to counter that one, that is usually a slam-dunk, i.e. your home is where your wife is.
          Agreed, but the poster said 'family', which could include 70 yo parents, aunties and uncles etc...

Comment

Hi. I am new to the forum here. I would like to ask for opinions on a decent contract rate for Geneva.
            I am being offered 100ChFr per hour, ie 800 a day.
            This is a lot less than the original poster in Zurich!

I am currently working in Eindhoven in NL, and enjoying it.
            I know Geneva quite well, as I was there when a student at CERN.
            Quickly looking at the price of small apartments though it looks brutal - 2000 ChFr per month seems normal.
            And I thought Eindhoven was expensive....

Comment

Originally posted by HPCJohn View Post
              Hi. I am new to the forum here. I would like to ask for opinions on a decent contract rate for Geneva.

Quickly looking at the price of small apartments though it looks brutal - 2000 ChFr per month seems normal.
              Geneva is expensive. Even more so then Zürich

800 chef is not bad and about average

Comment

Originally posted by HPCJohn View Post

And Genf has somethjng like a 99.7% occupancy rate.

Comment

Hi All,

Could you please advise on a Daily Rate 450 CHF Gross for Zurich ?
                  Is that amount enough for average life?

Thank you!

Comment

No, it isn’t a good rate. As BlasterBates said you will have to spend 25% of your day rate on hotels alone, and then there are Travel costs and tax to be paid.
                    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Budget your Hotel with 100-130 CHF per night (near the airport) and check the cost of flights.

Stek makes a good point on expenses only 1500 CHF per month can be offset against tax.
                    You will be lucky if you just break even.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X