• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is this a good rate for Zurich ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one consideration that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Why are you thinking of working in Zurich? For the money or the experience. If I'd had the chance I'd have given it a pop for the experience even if the rate wasn't particularly good. I've taken lower rates just to be local and the like in the past so why not for a stint in a great place like Zurich. Your take home might be less overall but a good experience?

I can work around the country at the moment but can't do abroad for long stints anymore so regret not making the most of when I could. If you can do a couple of months in Zurich and it covers the bills but still leave a decent warchest behind you I'd say go for it. Don't judge it on cash alone.

You could turn this down and end up doing 3 months in Coventry on an OKish rate. Result? Not.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      There is one consideration that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Why are you thinking of working in Zurich? For the money or the experience. If I'd had the chance I'd have given it a pop for the experience even if the rate wasn't particularly good. I've taken lower rates just to be local and the like in the past so why not for a stint in a great place like Zurich. Your take home might be less overall but a good experience?

I can work around the country at the moment but can't do abroad for long stints anymore so regret not making the most of when I could. If you can do a couple of months in Zurich and it covers the bills but still leave a decent warchest behind you I'd say go for it. Don't judge it on cash alone.

You could turn this down and end up doing 3 months in Coventry on an OKish rate. Result? Not.
      Wouldn’t call Zürich a great place. Bit concrety...

Now Bern, lovely city....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Wouldn’t call Zürich a great place...
        Best thing about Zürich? The last train to Basel.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Wouldn’t call Zürich a great place. Bit concrety...

Now Bern, lovely city....
          Better than Coventry.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for taking the time out to reply, it's all a little clearer now.

As I mentioned I was just trying to get a feel for what 1200CHF per day would be like in comparison to a UK based contract outside of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by JSBoy View Post
              Thanks everyone for taking the time out to reply, it's all a little clearer now.

As I mentioned I was just trying to get a feel for what 1200CHF per day would be like in comparison to a UK based contract outside of IR35.
              The real question is: can you get 1250?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                The real question is: can you get 1250?
                indeed, GBP jumped today and the daily rate went down by £10 per day (£200 per month or £2400 per year) ....

Got a feeling this is a 'nailing blancmange to the ceiling' exercise
                Last edited by JSBoy; 25 October 2017, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at IPAYE View Post
                  You will not be subject to double taxation because of the UK/Swiss double taxation agreement, and not because you will become non resident in the UK for tax purposes.

You are dual resident, taxable in both Zurich and the UK on the same income however the tax you pay locally will be credited against the tax liability arising in the UK. If you have a higher tax rate in the UK you will need to make a balancing payment.

Leaving UK residency behind is not so straightforward as just counting days however, as a guideline the basic principles are
                  • Work full time overseas (equivalent full time hours, so part time or rotational work does not count)
                  • Have one complete tax year outside of the UK (unless you are already working abroad, the next opportunity is April 2018-April 2019)
                  • Dont visit the UK for any more than 183 days in any one non-resident tax year and no more than 90 days average per year during the full period of non residency.

HTH
                  So this supports my claim that you are not tax resident in the UK if you : "Work full time overseas (equivalent full time hours, so part time or rotational work does not count)"

As the OP will work full time for six months he will not have to be UK tax resident

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
                    So this supports my claim that you are not tax resident in the UK if you : "Work full time overseas (equivalent full time hours, so part time or rotational work does not count)"

As the OP will work full time for six months he will not have to be UK tax resident
                    No it doesn't look at points 2 and 3.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post

You have to pass all three tests and read the HMRC docs for all the caveats that indicate ties to UK, I've done it, I'm in Ireland now and believe me it's not easy.

Sounds like you need a tax advisor - quickly.....

Comment

Working...
                      X