• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requirement to be SC cleared to apply for job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requirement to be SC cleared to apply for job

Morning,

I see many Government contract jobs advertised by agents where they make it clear that you can only apply for the job if you hold currect SC clearance. This is against the Cabinet Office Code of Practice which states that people without Security Clearance (SC) should be allowed to apply and shortlisted for a job if they have the right skills.

I am more than qualified for the SC jobs that I apply but I never make it to the shortlist because I do not have SC clearance. In fact, several agents have told me so. Effectively, I am unfairly excluded from these jobs in favour of those that do have SC clearance.

Based on your experience, how can I overcome this problem? Where can I report those agents that do not adhere to the Code of Practice for SC clearance?

Thanks,

A.

No you can't. Been happening for years and nothing is going to change. Malvolio posted an email address you can complain to but I doubt it will make any difference. They state its an urgent gig so must have existing clearance. To be fair most gigs want a quick start so it's a pretty good argument which is difficult to argue.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can't find the contact details to complain to but here is a post back from 2006 discussing exactly the same. Mal says contact him with the details as he's looking in to this but bearing in mind it's 11 years ago he might not be going at it with the same gusto anymore.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...nce-again.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No you can't. Been happening for years and nothing is going to change. Malvolio posted an email address you can complain to but I doubt it will make any difference. They state its an urgent gig so must have existing clearance. To be fair most gigs want a quick start so it's a pretty good argument which is difficult to argue.
        I see contracts advertised with initial durations of 6 or 12 months. These are long-term contracts and the Government agencies can clearly wait for the SC clearance to take place. Also, the Code of Practice states that a contractor can start on a project pending clearance. The problem is that the agents won't even consider people without current clearance. This is blatant unfair competition that favours certain candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post
          I see contracts advertised with initial durations of 6 or 12 months. These are long-term contracts and the Government agencies can clearly wait for the SC clearance to take place. Also, the Code of Practice states that a contractor can start on a project pending clearance. The problem is that the agents won't even consider people without current clearance. This is blatant unfair competition that favours certain candidates.
          Correct....

Comment

Not sure if this is still the right address but you used to be able to send your concerns here: [email protected]

Comment

Technically no one is stopping you to apply for the job, whether your application will be even considered is a different matter. Even the agents that adhere to the code and aren't stupid enough to word the job ad in a discriminatory manner will still strongly prefer a candidate with current SC. The reasons is simple - money, any day you spend waiting for the SC they aren't getting money off you.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Not sure if this is still the right address but you used to be able to send your concerns here: [email protected]
                It is and you can. Indeed, you should; the more evidence the CO collects the better.

The problem is that the rules are not backed up with legal force, so it's difficult to ensure compliance. There are options for doing so, but they are more likely to hit the end department than the agency.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Technically no one is stopping you to apply for the job, whether your application will be even considered is a different matter. Even the agents that adhere to the code and aren't stupid enough to word the job ad in a discriminatory manner will still strongly prefer a candidate with current SC. The reasons is simple - money, any day you spend waiting for the SC they aren't getting money off you.
                  It only takes 4-6 weeks for SC clearance for be granted. Agencies typically wait for at least a month for get their first invoice paid so I do not think this argument is valid. There can be no excuse for discrimination in the work place and that is exactly what this is.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    It is and you can. Indeed, you should; the more evidence the CO collects the better.

The problem is that the rules are not backed up with legal force, so it's difficult to ensure compliance. There are options for doing so, but they are more likely to hit the end department than the agency.
                    Thank you Malvolio. The more of us that complain to the CO the better. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will re-consider this discriminatory practice.

It seems to me that the best way to resolve this would be for individual contractors to be able to apply for SC clearance themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X