• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever had a client insist you use a specific accountant??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever had a client insist you use a specific accountant??

Ok, theres a forum thread running on another forum and a lady on there is insistent that her husband has - for his first contract - with a particular client not only use a particular agency (fair enough), and if he uses an umbrella company it has to be a specific approved list (ok, maybe, but unlikely if its through an agency anyway), but apparently he has to use an approved accountancy firm off their deemed list??

Apparently its a 2+ years engagement for a "big name" company, but is this at all possible?

Seems banal to me?

Originally posted by daemon View Post
    Ok, theres a forum thread running on another forum and a lady on there is insistent that her husband has - for his first contract - with a particular client not only use a particular agency (fair enough), and if he uses an umbrella company it has to be a specific approved list (ok, maybe, but unlikely if its through an agency anyway), but apparently he has to use an approved accountancy firm off their deemed list??

Apparently its a 2+ years engagement for a "big name" company, but is this at all possible?

Seems banal to me?
    May as well go brolly for piece of mind - with no travel/accom allowable the difference in gross to net isn't that much nowadays...

Comment

Sorry - my question was - has anyone ever seen a client insist you use a particular accountancy firm from their approved list, and not engage with you if you dont use them?

Comment

Client getting kick-backs.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon View Post
          Sorry - my question was - has anyone ever seen a client insist you use a particular accountancy firm from their approved list, and not engage with you if you dont use them?
          We've had plenty of examples where it has to be from a list but we've not seen anyone that I can remember that's said no thanks and walked off. As long as you do some research in to the list and pick a decent one it would be daft to turn down a good gig just because of their stance.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            We've had plenty of examples where it has to be from a list but we've not seen anyone that I can remember that's said no thanks and walked off. As long as you do some research in to the list and pick a decent one it would be daft to turn down a good gig just because of their stance.
            Brollys maybe, but I don't remember seeing a post about being forced to use a specific accountancy?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Brollys maybe, but I don't remember seeing a post about being forced to use a specific accountancy?
              Good point. Yes you are right.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had an agency once tell a contractor they wouldn't pay the dodgy Isle of Man company he routed his money through. Not quite the same thing though.

I suspect there's either been a misunderstanding or the agency is getting a kick back

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Had an agency once tell a contractor they wouldn't pay the dodgy Isle of Man company he routed his money through. Not quite the same thing though.

I suspect there's either been a misunderstanding or the agency is getting a kick back
                  I think this is maybe not so far off.
                  An agency would have no sight of an accountant unless it were a scheme surely?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

One time an agency (Glotel) wanted to push me towards an accountant for a contract in Belgium. When I spoke to the guy he sounded dodgy and when I googled him, it turned out he was wanted by the South African serious fraud squad. I politely declined.

Comment

Working...
                    X