• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gambling debt and SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ITContractor20 View Post
    Yes I was up a significant amount but that is here and now. At the moment I am 15k overdrawn. I have not missed any payments or defaulted, however the credit score has gone down significantly since I have used up all this credit.
    Summary. Be honest. Don't give up. Wait for the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Totally agree with that. It's a test of honesty at the end of the day.

And what makes you think they don't already know the answers to the questions...
      I know of no operations team or interface that supplies bank account details to government sources for SC clearance

Must ask head of ops tomorrow as having lunch with as he has being doing this for 40 years

Comment

Thanks for the optimism. Sounds like I need to look for a new job.
        If you are a permie go to HR and ask advice

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          If you are a permie go to HR and ask advice
          And then don't be surprised if you are made redundant in 3 months.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            I know of no operations team or interface that supplies bank account details to government sources for SC clearance

Must ask head of ops tomorrow as having lunch with as he has being doing this for 40 years
            I've been asked when was the last time I placed a bet and how did it pan out before as part of a clearance process.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I've been asked when was the last time I placed a bet and how did it pan out before as part of a clearance process.
              Did you point out that Mr Tarbera's advice on equine related investments was in no way gambling. It's just that certain investments don't always pan out due to unforeseen circumstances.

A drunk jockey falling off a three legged nag must surely count as Force Majeure.

Comment

Hi guys,

I know the issue of SC has been asked several times on this forum having read the FAQ and other posts made by users. Although in relation to Gambling debt I am curious if anyone has had this and still managed to get SC Clearance? I am currently in 15k of debt due to a very dark period in my life right now and I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job.

The problem i have is that the debt is very recent and although I have never missed any payments my credit score is very very low right now. It was over 900 before on Experian.

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Regards
                I was about to ask a load of questions like is this a renewal? has there been a change in the role that now requires SC? But really this one line makes it quite simple :

"I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job"

From that I infer that you need SC clearance to do your job. If that's the case then I don't see that you have any option other to fill in the form honestly and see what comes back.

You basically have two options and three possible outcomes :

Option 1 : Fill in the form honestly and see what happens
                Possible outcome 1 : It gets approved
                Possible outcome 2 : It gets rejected

Option 2 : Dont apply for clearance because you dont think it will be granted
                Possible outcome 3 : It wont be granted.

If your job requires SC Clearance then only option one has a chance of you being able to keep your job... it doesnt cost you anything to apply for it, I dont see what the worry is.

If it helps I got clearance while sitting on top of 12k old credit card debt...

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  I was about to ask a load of questions like is this a renewal? has there been a change in the role that now requires SC? But really this one line makes it quite simple :

"I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job"

From that I infer that you need SC clearance to do your job. If that's the case then I don't see that you have any option other to fill in the form honestly and see what comes back.

You basically have two options and three possible outcomes :

Option 1 : Fill in the form honestly and see what happens
                  Possible outcome 1 : It gets approved
                  Possible outcome 2 : It gets rejected

Option 2 : Dont apply for clearance because you dont think it will be granted
                  Possible outcome 3 : It wont be granted.

If your job requires SC Clearance then only option one has a chance of you being able to keep your job... it doesnt cost you anything to apply for it, I dont see what the worry is.

If it helps I got clearance while sitting on top of 12k old credit card debt...
                  The worry is that I will lose my job.
                  Last edited by ITContractor20; 2 November 2017, 19:32. Reason: My job does legally require security clearance as of now.

Comment

Apply, be honest. This is (in my opinion) the only thing you can do.

Your situation (from what you have said) shouldn’t be a huge concern.

Debt is debt. How you handle it is more what they will be concerned with.

There will also be an appeals procedure if you really needed to make a case. But seems like you’re being too sensitive.

Stick with permie!

Comment

Don't worry about debt - as long as you disclose it, and do not default on repayment, then you have very little to be concerned about?

If debt was a crime, then you might have concern.

Your concern should be your gambling habit - besides the personal grief, it leaves you open to being persuaded to do things that a "normal" person would never consider...Seek professional help.
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X