• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the Worst that Can Happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    ...you kill a relationship with an agent...
    Boo ******** hoo. This is like saying that leaving your abusive partner is "killing a relationship" with your spouse.

And in any case, that same agent will magically forget how you "killed" the relationship if they think you're the right guy for a new role and have already started to see the $$$ in their eyes.

Comment

"Never bite the hand that feeds you" - Agents find as work so I don't really see how that can be compared to an abusive relationship. Yeah they make money off of us and yes sometimes they rip us off - that's business. I dare say there have been days where we've all not done a whole lot of work and still billed for it - is that ripping the client off? Guess it depends if you are working on deliverables or signed timesheets, inside or outside of IR35 bla bla bla. Either way, you take my point.

You're probably not wrong about the being angry one day because you left them up a creek and then happy the next because they've found you a new role, though. But personally, in my opinion, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMook View Post
        Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
        It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.
        The day rate is good but for me, there has to be more.
        Unfortunately for them, there is nobody else who knows the intricacies of the account as well as I do - that's how this place operates, so I wouldn't really want to conduct a handover, as I never got one when I started.

Am I being too vindictive by wanting to see them fall flat, and leaving them in a mess.
        My notice period is 4 weeks but I'm telling potential roles that its only a week, so............whats the worst that can happen if I go without working any notice (1 week minimum)
        They could just not pay you any money owed. Also on your next contract you can't use the agency / client as a reference - People do ask, though not always. Plus everyone that knows you on that site will remember the way you just walked out and will relay that story when asked what they think to you - Till the end of your career. Basically it will go, great technically but watch out if he gets the arse he will walk. Also you are leaving a flaming bridge, so you will never be able to go back.

You will lose business at some point in the future, you just won't know when it happens.

For me personally Old Clients / Ex-Colleagues are my number one source of business.

I would also add - Welcome to Contracting - If you think its going to get better, best think again.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMook View Post
          Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
          It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.
          The day rate is good but for me, there has to be more.
          Unfortunately for them, there is nobody else who knows the intricacies of the account as well as I do - that's how this place operates, so I wouldn't really want to conduct a handover, as I never got one when I started.

Am I being too vindictive by wanting to see them fall flat, and leaving them in a mess.
          My notice period is 4 weeks but I'm telling potential roles that its only a week, so............whats the worst that can happen if I go without working any notice (1 week minimum)
          Can you go direct?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            Well if you have a MOO clause in your contract, contractually you are not obliged to accept any work. Whether you have outstanding deliverables is another matter or whether that can be argued.

I do wonder if we are on the same project. Big 4, large project, failing badly???
            Well that narrows it down...

Comment

Working...
            X