• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the Worst that Can Happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the Worst that Can Happen?

Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
    It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.
    The day rate is good but for me, there has to be more.
    Unfortunately for them, there is nobody else who knows the intricacies of the account as well as I do - that's how this place operates, so I wouldn't really want to conduct a handover, as I never got one when I started.

Am I being too vindictive by wanting to see them fall flat, and leaving them in a mess.
    My notice period is 4 weeks but I'm telling potential roles that its only a week, so............whats the worst that can happen if I go without working any notice (1 week minimum)

Originally posted by JohnnyMook View Post
    Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
    It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.
    Unfortunately for them, there is nobody else who knows the intricacies of the account as well as I do - that's how this place operates, so I wouldn't really want to conduct a handover, as I never got one when I started.

Am I being too vindictive by wanting to see them fall flat, and leaving them in a mess.
    My notice period is 4 weeks but I'm telling potential roles that its only a week, so............whats the worst that can happen if I go without working any notice (1 week minimum)
    I don't know where to start. How long you been contracting?
    My two pence, try to do your work to the best of your ability, talk to people if things aren't done properly. Document everything and communicate.
    Whatever you do, do not abandon ship. Complete your contract, provide handover and go. Decline any extension.

I am guessing you did not actually want this kind of advice, so I might have just wasted a few minutes.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Added to the good advice already given - when you explain things once follow it up with an email explaining it as well. As they are political they will understand that two can play at that game.

Also don't leave without giving the right amount of notice as the agency will refuse to pay you for the work you have already done. While they legally can't do that, if you threaten them with court action they will counter-sue for breach of contract.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OP - rule number one is look after number one.

BUT, leaving without giving proper notice is not going to be idea. It WILL be lots of hassle and bad vibes. Think carefully if its worth it. Of course, other plan is to ask client nicely if they'll let you go early - no worries then. Agency will still moan a bit but if you left with their client reasonably happy thats better.

I must admit I have blagged it in the past with notice periods and told agencies I could get it down to a few weeks. They probably then told their clients a week.

But beware, I had a call out of the blue once for a role and they offered it to me. I didnt commit but said I'd see if I could get it down to a few weeks. They said yeh 2-3 weeks no problem.

It was close to home and due to family illness it was something I had to consider. I had a good relationship with client apart from the senior manager guy who was a bit off and messed about a bit. Eventually, I got it to 2.5 weeks. All this time I'd been in touch with agent. So got end date sorted, phoned agency. Ah sorry client has got someone else in quicker which was very uncool of the client.

Of course, cards marked then with current client manager and I was only there another month.

What would I do in the future? If I really wanted the new gig, I'd ask current client but be a bit more forceful. If they say no or arse around then its up to me to decide if the new gig is worth all the hassle. In a way, I wish I'd pushed it a bit more but then sort of glad that I dodged a bullet not working for a client who verbally offers and then doesnt even have the balls to get back in contact with me to withdraw an offer. This was bang out of order.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

whats the worst that can happen if I go without working any notice (1 week minimum)
          They can "sue" you for breach of contract and will attempt recoup any lost income (i.e. their cut of your fee) for the notice period
          They may refuse to pay any outstanding invoices (this is illegal, but will be a pain to chase up)
          You will almost certainly burn bridges with your client and agency, your name may be spread about as a deserter

Not much more than that IMO

IANAL

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I must admit I have blagged it in the past with notice periods and told agencies I could get it down to a few weeks. They probably then told their clients a week.

But beware, I had a call out of the blue once for a role and they offered it to me. I didnt commit but said I'd see if I could get it down to a few weeks. They said yeh 2-3 weeks no problem.

It was close to home and due to family illness it was something I had to consider. I had a good relationship with client apart from the senior manager guy who was a bit off and messed about a bit. Eventually, I got it to 2.5 weeks. All this time I'd been in touch with agent. So got end date sorted, phoned agency. Ah sorry client has got someone else in quicker which was very uncool of the client.

Of course, cards marked then with current client manager and I was only there another month.

What would I do in the future? If I really wanted the new gig, I'd ask current client but be a bit more forceful. If they say no or arse around then its up to me to decide if the new gig is worth all the hassle. In a way, I wish I'd pushed it a bit more but then sort of glad that I dodged a bullet not working for a client who verbally offers and then doesnt even have the balls to get back in contact with me to withdraw an offer. This was bang out of order.
            Not really. You introduced a risk by having a notice period. The client got a better contractor that could start immediately which was obviously a key requirement. You'd do but not ideal but someone ideal came up.
            We've been saying forever a client waiting for your notice introduces a massive risk and roles can and often do evaporate.
            It's unfortunate but there is a good chance it was going to happen. It wasn't bang out of order.
            You've admitting you blagged the notice period. That's bang in order is it? You can't piss a client around and then complain when you get pissed about back.
            Absolutely nothing to do with dodging a bullet. It's your fault for expecting a client to wait. Period.

And WTF does this brain fart have to do with the OPs question?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why be so negative? The sky might not fall in. Your sanity is worth more than anything else.

Go for it!

Comment

The current agency can sue you for their losses. That might just be their loss of revenue, but they could also argue that because of your sudden departure they incurred additional costs beyond those that would have been incurred if you had left with the contracted notice period. If there was an additional cost because you left suddenly without handing over the work, then there might be a claim to cover those costs as well.

That's just the immediate financial worst that can happen - there will be other non-financial costs though as well.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What's the worst that could happen? He could kill you.

https://m.ranker.com/list/bosses-who...ike-rothschild
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The worst that could happen?

They come after you for loss of earnings, withhold payment on your final invoice to be a PITA, you burn your bridges with one of the "Big 4" (which means you're burnt with all of them - word spreads) and you kill a relationship with an agent.

Work the notice period unless you want to open yourself up to a significant amount of life turbulence.

I adopted the same attitude when 2 friends and I tried to start a business whilst still working for our employer a year and a half ago; turned out the worst they could do was take us to court and withhold our salaries and overtime for as long as possible. and they did just that - they took it allllll the way, just to try and bleed us dry financially. Annoyingly, they succeeded too.

So whenever someone asks me now "what's the worst that could happen" I do immediately become slightly more risk averse.

Comment

Working...
                    X