• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been asked which agency I want to represent me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I don't understand. If they've contacted you directly why do you need an agency?
    Various reasons.
    1) PS body not setup to do contractor payments, or have the legal nouse, the contractors LTD won’t be on the PSL, procurement rules
    2) [TINFOIL HAT] the IR35 status isn’t as clear as made out and the PS body want as much distance as possible [/TINFOIL HAT]
    3) PS HR refuse/don’t understand contractors

It’s not uncommon in private sector either.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't understand. If they've contacted you directly why do you need an agency?
      If you knew anything about the complex frameworks in PS you would.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Various reasons.
        1) PS body not setup to do contractor payments, or have the legal nouse, the contractors LTD won’t be on the PSL, procurement rules
        2) [TINFOIL HAT] the IR35 status isn’t as clear as made out and the PS body want as much distance as possible [/TINFOIL HAT]

Non of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Various reasons.

So the PS are insisting on agencies and now insisting on umbrella contractors for every contractor? Sounds like an appallingly inefficient use of public money. I wonder what the papers would make of it? Find a link between a senior civil servant and an agency/umbrella company and you'll have quite a juicy story.

Comment

So the PS are insisting on agencies and now insisting on umbrella contractors for every contractor? Sounds like an appallingly inefficient use of public money. I wonder what the papers would make of it? Find a link between a senior civil servant and an agency/umbrella company and you'll have quite a juicy story.
            His list is wrong. PS have very complex engagement frameworks and a lot of hoops to jump through to get in and win work. It's there to make sure there isn't the link you mention which is why, as much as a PS body wants a contractor they have to put them through the framework. They cannot just issue a B2B contract and get on with.

This isn't unique to PS. Many private sector Co's have PSL so even though the manager found you, you'll still have to go through an agency if it is their policy.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              His list is wrong.
              What you describe is what I called 'procurement rules'. The tinfoil hat bit was a tinfoil hat bit.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by lotus_andy View Post
                There are about 500 on the list!
                Have you agreed a rate inclusive of margin? If so, Hays are likely to give you the best rate (and likely to take the job although they may grumble). Or Badenoch and Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Have you agreed a rate inclusive of margin? If so, Hays are likely to give you the best rate (and likely to take the job although they may grumble). Or Badenoch and Clark.

From my limited exposure to the new world order with PS procurement, I think as long as the contractor has agreed a rate with the client, it doesn't matter which agency the contractor chooses from the list, as either it will be a fixed margin or the client will cover the margin hence why the agency is on the list as they are within tolerance.

So from a contractor's point of view ensure the client has agreed the end rate and make sure anyone in the chain acknowledges that end rate will be what is on the contract you end up with.

As for Hays, I've used them once (a few years ago now) and had no trouble at all. They paid weekly, on a Friday if they received the approved timesheet by Tuesday IIRC. The only hassle, which probably happens 'everywhere' now is the need to present certain docs (passport, proof of address, etc) in person at one of their offices to prove you are who you are. Though they are so ubiquitous it's probably less hassle to go to the local office than risk losing the docs in the post.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Give Andy Piper at Mercator a call he’s one one the best agents I have come across.

Comment

Working...
                    X