• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
    Three weeks is brutal - my stepson works at Argos so I’ve asked him if they have any temp jobs ...
    Feck me, if they told me that, I'd be punching the air not complaining!

Comment

Furlough? Inneresting.

I had to look it up as it sounds agricultural....

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        Furlough? Inneresting.

I had to look it up as it sounds agricultural....
        Another Americanism.

Comment

Two week furlough for me over Christmas - happy days

Have never really understood why fellow contractors moan about this...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Two week furlough for me over Christmas - happy days

Have never really understood why fellow contractors moan about this...
            I always take 2 weeks' leave at Christmas. Busiest time of year for the old man, so I get a bit of peace and quiet.

Comment

December is often the busiest part of my year. It's when clients realise that need to spend their budget, and I'm happy to help them do that.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Another tedious sockie past it's ban by date..
                FTFY
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  December is often the busiest part of my year. It's when clients realise that need to spend their budget, and I'm happy to help them do that.
                  How much do you need for the mod Christmas party this year?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Completely agree. Unless you've literally just started contracting, you should be able to take some time off. Surely it's one of the perks of being a contractor/freelancer?
                    You should be able to but one of the perks of being a contractor is also deciding when you work, not being told. It's tantamount to a 6% pay cut over the year if you were planning to work those weeks, and that's not something one wants to hear - especially if they only tell you shortly before.
                    If you tell your client "by the way I won't be here in June" only a few weeks beforehand they likely would consider that a bit unprofessional.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I can remember the old time contractors I worked with back in the 90's all used to go off to the Bahamas / Caribbean for Xmas.

Take a leaf out of their book...

I mean 3 weeks is long enough for a trip to New Zealand - I know what I'd do!

Comment

Working...
                      X