• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best approach to finding your next role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Postage would cost a fortune...
    Some kind of electronic mail capability would provide significant savings.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Postage would cost a fortune...
      I used to do this back in the day. It worked when everything else failed during the dot com crash.

Comment

Contracts

My LinkedIn feed seems to be full of recruiters with contracts at the moment, has anyone tried iContract?

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          Its not just you the IT market for several roles (generic support & dev & PM roles especially) has been poor for a long time. Read here backwards to get a flavour of that http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-135.html
          ....but a lot of it is down to what you do. Unless you have a niche skillset right now its a very tough job market probably the hardest its been since post 2001.

Experience is less attractive right now to many clients it seems to boil down to rate first then experience 2nd due to how many foreign IT workers are here & happy to take lower rates which then dilutes future rates as many agents look and see what rates were offered in recent job ads before basing their rate card on that for the current ad! Which leads to constantly diminishing returns for the IT contractor obviously!!
          I'm not sure I'd go that far, there was the small issue of the 'great recession'.

Having said that I got replaced by a permie last week and I haven't had a phone interview yet despite speaking to ~8 recruitment agents. A little bit scary compared to my other experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
            My LinkedIn feed seems to be full of recruiters with contracts at the moment, has anyone tried iContract?
            Yes, loads of adverts, requests for CV's etc... no roles.... My experience is talk to the people you know. Don't bother too much with people you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              has anyone tried iContract?
              I've been on it since launch, platform has some potential, not much of a comparison to jobserve in terms of quality postings as far as I can tell...

Comment

Originally posted by Smackdown View Post
                I'm not sure I'd go that far, there was the small issue of the 'great recession'.

Having said that I got replaced by a permie last week and I haven't had a phone interview yet despite speaking to ~8 recruitment agents. A little bit scary compared to my other experiences.
                As your finding out now this worse than the "great recession" which never actually ended either BTW its why so many zero hour contracts & part time workers abound!

Comment

Sounds like we're all doing pretty much the same thing, but the roles just don't seem to be there.

I'm thinking my CV might be too specific and needs to be generalised a little to open up further opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by jmercer View Post
                    Sounds like we're all doing pretty much the same thing, but the roles just don't seem to be there.
                    This x 100!

Comment

Working...
                    X