Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Posts 31 to 33 of 33

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your costing from, but I have yet to see Public cloud that is cheaper.
    Ditto. Done a number of feasibility studies and anyone looking to run serious infra in the cloud on the grounds of cost is in for some rude surprises. Not to mention the fact that the prices are only fixed for as long as the provider fancies. Combine that with a tendency to randomly pull services (Google in particular are horrendous for this - wouldn't touch them with a barge pole) I think the Cloud is still trading on magic and shiny.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Ditto. Done a number of feasibility studies and anyone looking to run serious infra in the cloud on the grounds of cost is in for some rude surprises. Not to mention the fact that the prices are only fixed for as long as the provider fancies. Combine that with a tendency to randomly pull services (Google in particular are horrendous for this - wouldn't touch them with a barge pole) I think the Cloud is still trading on magic and shiny.
    I think it very much depends on use case. Need the same software running 24/7 on specific hardware its going to cost serious money - need to do something for a few hours / days / weeks cloud is a better bet...

The best example I saw was a monthly batch job - 6 hours overnight. On prem costs were utterly insane compared with an Azure instance programmed to kick off at 2am and shut down when the task was finished....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    I think it very much depends on use case. Need the same software running 24/7 on specific hardware its going to cost serious money - need to do something for a few hours / days / weeks cloud is a better bet...

The best example I saw was a monthly batch job - 6 hours overnight. On prem costs were utterly insane compared with an Azure instance programmed to kick off at 2am and shut down when the task was finished....
    Absolutely, like most things in IT I agree it has a place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4