• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Jobserve a waste of time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well I'll counter the couple of previous threads and point out I've still got 100% record over 10 years from Jobserve. I've got linkedin set up and come close to using that to get work but I'm either back in contractor or already in one so nothing has come of yet so jobserve is still king. I'm sure in the future other avenues will generate opportunities or me but so far I'm straight back on JS the week before a gig ends.

I'd be looking closer to home rather than blaming jobserve if I was the OP.
    It's different for those of us working in skilled high end roles.

I have only ever got one contract from a job board.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      It's different for those of us working in skilled high end roles.

I have only ever got one contract from a job board.
      I best get down to Office Angels every day and see what they've got in window for the next gig then
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lotus_andy View Post

In most cases there aren't any contact details to follow up with, so is it a case of most of the adverts are just fishing for CVs or is JS just a waste of time?
        Maybe and maybe not.

I've found in recent years I've been sent emails about roles before they have hit the job boards. In one instance I had been interviewed and had the second interview arranged for the next day before the role hit the job boards. I then got the role but it was advertised continually for a month afterwards. So I would advise networking including with agents. (This is one reason not to change your phone number between contracts.)

On the other hand I once answered an old advert, not realising it was an old one, and got a role from it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I am VERY surprised at this for many different reasons. I would be willing to bet you'd have been offered the interview even I the agent had sent it.
          Sorry NLUK I probably wasn't clear; when I said calling "them" - I meant the agent. I found that by getting them to invest 5-10 minutes on the phone with me they felt a bit more compelled to actually read my CV rather than file it in the round pile with the rest of them

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Maybe and maybe not.

I've found in recent years I've been sent emails about roles before they have hit the job boards. In one instance I had been interviewed and had the second interview arranged for the next day before the role hit the job boards. I then got the role but it was advertised continually for a month afterwards. So I would advise networking including with agents. (This is one reason not to change your phone number between contracts.)

On the other hand I once answered an old advert, not realising it was an old one, and got a role from it.
            +1 for networking with agents.
            I get a call every couple of months off a small handful of agents. They know I can deliver so I'm top of their list when they have a suitable role. I always answer and have a chat. One day they'll ring when I'm actually available...
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Sorry NLUK I probably wasn't clear; when I said calling "them" - I meant the agent. I found that by getting them to invest 5-10 minutes on the phone with me they felt a bit more compelled to actually read my CV rather than file it in the round pile with the rest of them
              Ah then yes indeed.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lotus_andy View Post
                My last role didn't get renewed due to budget cuts so I've been on the hunt for something else for the past 4 weeks. I've been using Jobserve but of the 20 or so positions I've applied to I have received no response, let alone an interview. These are all jobs that I have experience for and are covered on my CV.

In most cases there aren't any contact details to follow up with, so is it a case of most of the adverts are just fishing for CVs or is JS just a waste of time?
                Always follow up with a phone call within 10 min's or so of sending your CV otherwise they will never ever see it due to being swamped with applications (200-250 per hour recently as many as 750 within 24 hours on generic dev or support roles). Remind yourself that most agents put job ads out as they want to find out who is available & its less hassle to them than doing any actual work & looking at their internal cv database!! if they get candidates to call them instead!

Comment

Jobserv just panics me. I get a call from someone and end up applying for something, but then within about 4 or 6 hours I see dozens of duplicates of what sounds like the same thing from every agent and his dog. I suppose it's good I got an unsolicited call up front, but the numbers of agencies alone badgering these clients must be awful, let alone candidates.

Comment

Had an 'urgent' Linkedin request today with a job he had in Leeds (not that I'd be interested), accepted anyway, asks me if I know anyone who can fill the role. That's all.

Told him to foxtrot oscar, not doing his job as well......

Candour Solutions it was...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Had an 'urgent' Linkedin request today with a job he had in Leeds (not that I'd be interested), accepted anyway, asks me if I know anyone who can fill the role. That's all.

Told him to foxtrot oscar, not doing his job as well......

Candour Solutions it was...
                      You should be happy to introduce someone for 5% of daily rate if they are successfully placed.

Comment

Working...
                      X