• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance work on the side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance work on the side

Hi I've got a question about doing some freelance work in addition to being on a permanent position. It's for a friend of mine.

This is the situation:

A friend of mine is a permie for company A but is about to leave (notice handed in) to join company B for another permie role. Company A and B are not competitors and do not even operate in the same industry.

Company A outsources work to an agency. Is it possible/legal for my friend to engage with the agency and do work for company A on a freelance basis? Nothing is mentioned in the employment contract.

I really hop you can help this friend of mine

Classic Friday to Monday contractor scenario by the sounds of it

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
      Is it possible/legal for my friend to engage with the agency and do work for company A on a freelance basis?
      Yes it's possible. Yes it's legal.

Make sure your friend assesses their IR35 situation properly to ensure that they are paying the correct level of tax (at first glance it would appear to be inside IR35 but it might not be).

If they need advice on getting started, then I would recommend downloading the Be Your Own Boss definitive guide from the IPSE website.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Yes it's possible. Yes it's legal.

Make sure your friend assesses their IR35 situation properly to ensure that they are paying the correct level of tax (at first glance it would appear to be inside IR35 but it might not be).

If they need advice on getting started, then I would recommend downloading the Be Your Own Boss definitive guide from the IPSE website.

Thanks

Comment

If it's only going to be part-time, and may not last too long, AND there are no significant liability concerns (either because of the type of work or the relationship), it may not even be worth incorporating. It might be easiest to just do it as self-employed, which would leave IR35 out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            If it's only going to be part-time, and may not last too long, AND there are no significant liability concerns (either because of the type of work or the relationship), it may not even be worth incorporating. It might be easiest to just do it as self-employed, which would leave IR35 out of the picture.
            I'd agree but if its through an agency there's a high chance they won't contract with somebody who is self-employed. May have to go through the umbrella route.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
              Nothing is mentioned in the employment contract.
              Which one? Your friend will need to check the new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Classic Friday to Monday contractor scenario by the sounds of it
                I disagree. The freelancer may be picking up discrete deliverable based work in which case there is no reason IR35 applies. AFAIK Friday to Monday is not in itself a determinant of employment status. It may however be a flag to HMRC.

If the freelancer is instead picking up some BAU work - perhaps covering holidays - then that probably changes things.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  I disagree. The freelancer may be picking up discrete deliverable based work in which case there is no reason IR35 applies. AFAIK Friday to Monday is not in itself a determinant of employment status. It may however be a flag to HMRC.

If the freelancer is instead picking up some BAU work - perhaps covering holidays - then that probably changes things.
                  It struck me yesterday that D&C can easily be circumvented by a simple agreement of the form:

1. I give you the work.
                  2. You decide how you're going to do it.

And voila ! Outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    It struck me yesterday that D&C can easily be circumvented by a simple agreement of the form:

1. I give you the work.
                    2. You decide how you're going to do it.

And voila ! Outside IR35.
                    Not quite.

There is a grey area if the client employes permies who are also skilled professionals who do the same role as you as they will also do the work the way they want as frequently managers wouldn't have the knowledge to do D&C in the work they do.

Therefore to distinguish you from them, you need a schedule of work.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X