• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewal - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    You're contradicting yourself grumpyballs. When this 'screwing' happened many moons ago, I'm almost certain you were in the 'the agent didn't screw you, you accepted the rate he offered' gang when I called unfairness. To be honest, it was that screwing over (and you're right, I as screwed over) that taught be a lesson on agents. I've doubled my rate in 5 years of contracting thanks to that lesson.
    No I think it's totally unfair the agents screw the new guys. It's a pretty low trick and had it happen to me when I first started as well. The other candidate will take the gig for 10 quid less but you can have the gig if you go £10 below him. Got annoyed and told them OK but I wasn't playing silly games take me or don't after this. Should have said that first time.
    Experienced contractors falling for it is different though. It's a negotiation. Picking on the newbies is just lame. That said. If I got a sub in and could make an extra bit of cash out of them for finding them the work I probably would but not piss taking levels.

Here we go again with the doomsday scenarios, the fear-mongering. Binned? Unless you're a crap resource, the client will want to keep you. Trying to get the best financial deal for yourself should be applauded. All they must do is say no. Plus, the fight it always with the agent, not the client. I maintain great relationships with clients. With agents, we both know we're playing dirty; we just never say it explicitly. After the fight, we shake and move on until next time.
    That's true. Happy to accept that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They are taking 23% that's why I know they are taking a big margin. I think I will respond to the client saying I wish to continue on and then take to the agent saying I want to increase the rate. So be up for the agent to get that increase with the backup of assuring the client I wish to stay on

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
        They are taking 23% that's why I know they are taking a big margin. I think I will respond to the client saying I wish to continue on and then take to the agent saying I want to increase the rate. So be up for the agent to get that increase with the backup of assuring the client I wish to stay on
        Depending on the actual rate, 23% may be reasonable.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Depending on the actual rate, 23% may be reasonable.
          not after 6 months! it's free money territory for the agent now

Comment

Im getting 450 and client paying 600

Comment

Client paying 600 inc VAT or 600 + VAT?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I doubt it's with VAT, as that's £500 without

Comment

so agency are either taking 33% or keeping 25% depending how you want to work it out, but not 23%

Comment

I doubt it's with VAT, as that's £500 without
                    Do you charge the agency £450+VAT , i.e. £540?

In which case the agent's cut isn't so much.

I support your case for a rise but you need to be sure of the numbers. Like I said in my previous post above, if you don't ask you don't get.
                    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 7 September 2017, 10:00.

Comment

take the VAT out of the equation. If you're billing 450 and the agent is billing 500, you're not gonna squeeze them for much.

Comment

Working...
                      X