• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with a client who's not paid suppliers in the past

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    If it was me, I'd be asking for the payment up front for the first two days and weekly invoicing with 7 day terms for the 'few hours a month'.
    Even seven days may be pushing it - payment on receipt wouldn't be unreasonable here.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You feel like you'd be letting her down if you backed out now? Wait until she doesn't pay you. Maybe she screws suppliers over because they feel bad about letting her down rather than using common and business sense...
      By golly, NLUK, you're a man of many faces.

Careful now, soon you'll be telling the OP to take the gig and get ready to bail on her client as soon as even the whiff of a rate increase blows by! In the name of common business sense and fiduciary duty, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by SaraDigital View Post
        Thanks.

Not an IPSE member, but have been looking at Standard membership. Had a quick look again, and can see IPSE+ would be better if I ran into problems with this client.

The project would start with me doing 2 full days of work, before settling into a few hours a month. As you suggest, weekly invoicing sounds more reasonable for those few hours, but bit concerned I'd do the 2 days work and not see the money.
        Check the small print on IPSE insurance, I had a client go bust owing me many thousands and I was not covered; can't remember specifics off the top of my head. Same situation, it was a company that had risen from the ashes a few times following insolvencies, so I was half expecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          Check the small print on IPSE insurance
          Terms and conditions can be found here.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another way that I was investigating with a poorly paying client earlier this year was to be a card merchant and to charge the clientco's corporate credit card following an approved timesheet & expenses. That way you would be paid that day or the following day depending on when the transaction is made. This is common in certain industries (namely in the creative sector) at least here in the US to pay suppliers and contractors this way. Be aware that card companies will charge a merchant fee (2-3%) for each transaction which I would have included in the daily rate.
            Last edited by redgiant; 8 September 2017, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The amount of credit you should extend is the amount you're willing to lose.
              Could probably close the thread after this point.

Shorter payment terms, upfront payment (% or full) or Escrow are your options.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
              X