• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding my own Gigs- anyone willing to pay a small fee if I pass them something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Also I stopped putting my age on my CV over 10 years ago before the UK legislation came in - yep I have my old CVs. Yes they do ask for your age in Europe but in the UK they haven't been allowed to ask your age for years. There are also loads of agencies in the UK so not every single one will have your age.
    Hi 21 year old Sue Age is usually calculable from work / education history is it not? OK, you don't have to go back to "the beginning", but if you rock up and you're clearly over middle aged but only have ten years of work ex on your CV that may lead to questions too (which prison?)

Comment

Originally posted by amon View Post
      I'm not sure why you bothered to respond and I wont be wasting any more time on you but here goes.
      Because we're trying to point that whilst it may look like a good idea, you need to make sure that you've got your pricing and contracts sorted before you waste any time on a situation that won't work out for you. We're nice like that.

If you get paid 500 a day that means the agency is getting paid around 700, maybe as low as 650 but rarely. He takes no risks at all with this and if the contract ends he will generally get paid notice and not hand it over to you.
      That's a hefty margin that you think that the agencies are taking. I don't believe it's anywhere near that - may agencies that I've worked with have been on a fixed 10%, some much lower than that. If you believe that they take no risks, then your naivety is showing again - what happens when the client goes bust and they are dealing with multiple contractors who they have to pay out?

You seem very naive and you never made a single positive suggestion so I can get take a hint. but I wish you all the best
      On the contrary, there are lots of positive suggestions in this thread. You just don't want to read them.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        what happens when the client goes bust and they are dealing with multiple contractors who they have to pay out?
        You mean after telling all the ones who opted out of the conduct regulations to stick it?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
          Hi 21 year old Sue Age is usually calculable from work / education history is it not? OK, you don't have to go back to "the beginning", but if you rock up and you're clearly over middle aged but only have ten years of work ex on your CV that may lead to questions too (which prison?)
          Yeah and gender is normally worked out from someone's name, so?

However you don't need to put your date of birth on your CV to make it obvious that you are an

Let them work out for themselves that you are an (or in some cases young), as some companies discriminate no matter what while others meet the person before deciding they won't fit in.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
            You mean after telling all the ones who opted out of the conduct regulations to stick it?
            Depends if they are smart enough to negotiate in the contract or not that you have to pay them no matter what.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My current agency are on a fixed 5% margin.

Comment

Originally posted by EDI View Post
                My current agency are on a fixed 5% margin.
                My last agency was on a fixed rate of £36/day for a contractor being paid anywhere between £300-500/day

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  My last agency was on a fixed rate of £36/day for a contractor being paid anywhere between £300-500/day
                  That's interesting. Never seen that before. Not much incentive for them to peck the client for more money for better contractors though as there is nothing in it for the agent?

One of the bigger recruiters? Only agency with an onsite presence?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X