• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding my own Gigs- anyone willing to pay a small fee if I pass them something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amon View Post
    Right now I'm struggling again because I have turned 50 and my DOB is on every CV database in Europe and not even GDPR can force them to take it off. This is waiting for you too.
    GDPR doesn't come in until next year. Why would you put for date of birth on your CV? It's irrelevant.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Your 3 months contract worth 30k would result in about 8-10k kept by the agency apart from all the other little issues and risks you bear.
      The difference here is that the money isn't coming out of my pocket - it's coming out of someone else's. If the agency keeps £10k then that's £10k of the client money, not £10k of mine.

But to be more reasonable, let's say the client is paying £600 a day and you get £450. Under your model, the contractor pays you something and (presumably?) they get the £600 a day from the client directly. Over the course of 50 days, that's £7500 and you expect someone to give you £3750 for the lead. Maybe that's fair, maybe that isn't, but what you seem to be expecting a contractor to do is to split the commission with you - the contractor bears the risk of the client not paying, and a potential cost of factoring those invoices, and you do nothing for your 5%.

I am simply looking for partners to share my up front costs in finding my own work. It is not unreasonable to ask for a realistic fee for that.
      Therein lies the rub - what is a reasonable fee for you finding out that there is a vacancy at a client and suggesting to someone that they apply for it?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Therein lies the rub - what is a reasonable fee for you finding out that there is a vacancy at a client and suggesting to someone that they apply for it?
        I'd pay £150 but only after I'd got the gig. I might consider more, but not thousands.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Always the same these threads. Someone has an idea to be an pseudo agent. Long drawn out argument between OP and a number of people and nothing changes.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Always the same these threads. Someone has an idea to be an pseudo agent. Long drawn out argument between OP and a number of people and nothing changes.
            It's because I suspect its the wrong way around. We don't need pseudo agents trying to work out how they can find contracts to sell to people. What is probably needed is to split the agency role into 2 distinct bits:-
            1. Charging the company to find a set of suitable clients to interview
            2. Potentially handling the payment side of things.

I suspect an offer to charge a fixed fee of £x000 to find a contractor would start to look good once companies knew how much the same service was currently costing them....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              It's because I suspect its the wrong way around. We don't need pseudo agents trying to work out how they can find contracts to sell to people. What is probably needed is to split the agency role into 2 distinct bits:-

I suspect an offer to charge a fixed fee of £x000 to find a contractor would start to look good once companies knew how much the same service was currently costing them....
              this is already how agencies find permies. It's usually more like 20% of the perm gross annual salary.

Most companies I know don't want to handle the money side of things and are happy with 6-7% for the agency for contractors.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Right now I'm struggling again because I have turned 50 and my DOB is on every CV database in Europe and not even GDPR can force them to take it off. This is waiting for you too.
                It is very likely your skill set and CV rather than just your age.

Some posters on here I know are much older than you think, and older than you but have no issues getting contracts where they are hands on. (BTW I'm definitely not older than you. )

Also I stopped putting my age on my CV over 10 years ago before the UK legislation came in - yep I have my old CVs. Yes they do ask for your age in Europe but in the UK they haven't been allowed to ask your age for years. There are also loads of agencies in the UK so not every single one will have your age.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  The difference here is that the money isn't coming out of my pocket - it's coming out of someone else's. If the agency keeps £10k then that's £10k of the client money, not £10k of mine.

But to be more reasonable, let's say the client is paying £600 a day and you get £450. Under your model, the contractor pays you something and (presumably?) they get the £600 a day from the client directly. Over the course of 50 days, that's £7500 and you expect someone to give you £3750 for the lead. Maybe that's fair, maybe that isn't, but what you seem to be expecting a contractor to do is to split the commission with you - the contractor bears the risk of the client not paying, and a potential cost of factoring those invoices, and you do nothing for your 5%.

I'm not sure why you bothered to respond and I wont be wasting any more time on you but here goes.
                  If you get paid 500 a day that means the agency is getting paid around 700, maybe as low as 650 but rarely. He takes no risks at all with this and if the contract ends he will generally get paid notice and not hand it over to you.

You seem very naive and you never made a single positive suggestion so I can get take a hint. but I wish you all the best

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Reading between the lines, am I right in thinking that some of you guys are assuming I have asked the question because I think I will get rich taking a few quid for finding some one a new contract.

I asked a genuine question on this forum, this is a common that is as old as business and is the cornerstone of economics and what I got from my colleagues in the tech industry is unmasked ignorance and rudeness give or take a few pence. No wonder the agencies take the "you know what". Fair play to them, I don't blame them.
                    What a bunch of <fill in the missing> it's too late you already thought it and you were right for the first time this year.

Comment

I'm not sure why you bothered to respond and I wont be wasting any more time on you but here goes.
                      If you get paid 500 a day that means the agency is getting paid around 700, maybe as low as 650 but rarely. He takes no risks at all with this and if the contract ends he will generally get paid notice and not hand it over to you.

You seem very naive and you never made a single positive suggestion so I can get take a hint. but I wish you all the best
                      Where are you getting your numbers from?
                      You started talking about 10-20% markup for the agencies. Now you're at 40%.
                      You also don't have a figure of what you'd expect a contractor to pay.
                      So what are you proposing? And how will it be commercially wrapped/contracted?

Enough talk. Time to tulip or get off the pot.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X