• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day rate charged by IT Consultancies to end clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day rate charged by IT Consultancies to end clients

Curious as I've just started working with a small-sized London based consultancy. I'm being paid circa £500 a day, curious as to what they (and those like them) charge end clients. Anyone with insider experience/knowledge on this? Does it vary widely based on sector/seniority? This is development work mainly, not management type work.

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Curious as I've just started working with a small-sized London based consultancy. I'm being paid circa £500 a day, curious as to what they (and those like them) charge end clients. Anyone with insider experience/knowledge on this? Does it vary widely based on sector/seniority? This is development work mainly, not management type work.
    Double it and you'll probably somewhere close'ish for starters. It can vary widely depending on size of consultancy, type of work etc etc.

Do you work on site? Surely someone will drop a bollock at some point and let slip the rate when they are complaining how much they are being charged? One of my clients had Accenture in and the their team must have had an average age of about 26. Client was forever moaning about how much they were paying for kids.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a document with the prices on somewhere if you keep your eye out as well.

One thing though. Don't get hacked off when you find out. It's completely different to agents who just cream a bit for doing next to nothing. The rate consultancies cover also pays for a lot of non revenue generating associated with the delivery. Service or account managers for example.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

likely somewhere between £800 and £1200.
      Buying at 500 and sell for 800 is something they don't like so they're either over-paying you, undercharging the client, or you're being charged out at around £1000.

And thus it has ever been.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        One of my clients had Accenture in and the their team must have had an average age of about 26. Client was forever moaning about how much they were paying for spreadsheet jockeys
        FTFY

Comment

Is there an agent as well as the consultancy? If there is you can kiss good by to at least £50 - £150 a day. The consultancy will be on at least 900 a day for you that said the heady days of the 90's where 2k per day was common seems to have vanished for all but a few...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Is there an agent as well as the consultancy? If there is you can kiss good by to at least £50 - £150 a day. The consultancy will be on at least 900 a day for you that said the heady days of the 90's where 2k per day was common seems to have vanished for all but a few...
            Can you elaborate a little?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my case $310 an hour.

I don’t see that but there is a 1 year budget for a previous end client with only my name on it so I don’t care
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Can you elaborate a little?
                Nothing to elaborate.

The consultancy charges the client X for you. Out of that the agent takes y. You then get paid Z.

Normally the rate the client charges you is a minimum of 3 times your day rate.

However some consultancies use a mixture of UK and overseas bods. Using overseas bods makes them appear cheaper to the client.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most of the smaller consultancies use contractors they've worked in the past or recommendations from their consultants and bring in associates direct. No agents involved.

That's what mine does, anyway.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Consultancy markup is normally x2 your daily rate very broadly speaking, I read somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X