• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day rate charged by IT Consultancies to end clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    At Excel and PowerPoint. And you don't pay 1200 quid a day to get someone who's gaining experience.
    More drivel, should I explain why? I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      At Excel and PowerPoint. And you don't pay 1200 quid a day to get someone who's gaining experience.
      Exactly and that's a standard rate for a body.
      I've lost count of the number I have had to lead/train especially in the more technical aspects.
      Even their more expensive Principals were usually not much better.
      Usually well qualified academically, but don't expect much else.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Exactly and that's a standard rate for a body.
        I've lost count of the number I have had to lead/train especially in the more technical aspects.
        Even their more expensive Principals were usually not much better.
        Usually well qualified academically, but don't expect much else.
        That feeling when you've spent a couple of days talking one of them through something and the next week it appears verbatim on a fancy power point and the management love it
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
          Curious as I've just started working with a small-sized London based consultancy. I'm being paid circa £500 a day, curious as to what they (and those like them) charge end clients. Anyone with insider experience/knowledge on this? Does it vary widely based on sector/seniority? This is development work mainly, not management type work.
          Depends on the size. 35% to 150% markup I guess. I worked for a very decent small consultancy a few years back and the owner told me exactly how much I was being charged at.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            i guess you're one of arthur's androids then??

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              go on then Bee, tell us why!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                go on then Bee, tell us why!
                It is drivel.

There are loads of IT consultancies around from the big bods - who you guys are moaning about to - to medium size and smaller consultancies.

The big bods are full of tulip unless you are lucky enough never to have to go on a consultancy site, while the SME ones are only interested in getting people in who can do the work. One problem with some of the SME ones is if they intend to become like the bigger bods they start employing people do tulip.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It is drivel.

There are loads of IT consultancies around from the big bods - who you guys are moaning about to - to medium size and smaller consultancies.

The big bods are full of tulip unless you are lucky enough never to have to go on a consultancy site, while the SME ones are only interested in getting people in who can do the work. One problem with some of the SME ones is if they intend to become like the bigger bods they start employing people do tulip.
                  You are right... But wrong. The chain starts with me making a point about Accenture sending young people in which Bee called Drivel and you are qualifying a completely different point now so it's getting confused.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My first dev job was for a company at the end of a chain of contractors (I was a permie). By the time the company at the top of the chain had taken their cut it was 1000% of the rate I was being paid. I was doing really basic stuff. The end client was public sector.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
                      Curious as I've just started working with a small-sized London based consultancy. I'm being paid circa £500 a day, curious as to what they (and those like them) charge end clients. Anyone with insider experience/knowledge on this? Does it vary widely based on sector/seniority? This is development work mainly, not management type work.
                      The smaller consultancies will generally top out at contractor rates so if you are direct with them and not via agency then take your rate and add 45%. That is probably your charge out rate.

If via agency then add 2,500%.

Just kidding, add 10% more so £500pd + 55%.

Realistically your charge out rate is approx £800pd.

Rate cards for the big boys start at 800 and go all the way up to 3,000-4,000pd for a partner. £1,400-£1,600 per day is the average I see for a mid-level consultant.

It is far rarer than you think to see a mid-level consultant on a £1,600 day rate billing for 5 days per week at the same client for very long periods.

re: £500pd. Be wary of that number. The amount of jokers that call me up offering £500 per day, I think large parts of the industry just default to that rate no matter what you do. You will be surprised over a 5 year period how many will pay you far more as they can't get anyone at that exact time to work for that figure, you just need to be willing to take a chance. I think in part its a hang-over from the recession.

Comment

Working...
                      X