• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Banking and Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    A lot of web development these days isn't making pretty looking websites though. I'd say more than half of what I've worked on have been internal web apps for large organisations. They probably won't let you BYOD.
    That's fine I'm mainly back-end / mySQL anyways. Probably only about 25% front-end on the "pretty side" lol.

You say £300 isn't well paid? I was looking to start off with £250 / £300 jobs and felt quite happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bb1990 View Post
      That's fine I'm mainly back-end / mySQL anyways. Probably only about 25% front-end on the "pretty side" lol.

You say £300 isn't well paid? I was looking to start off with £250 / £300 jobs and felt quite happy with that.
      You're worth exactly as much as you can get out of the client. Worrying about rates - especially other people's - is the route to an early grave. Of course, you have to have an appreciation of the going rate for your skills with your experience in your sector in your location (London pays better than the Orkneys on average...). But there are no rules
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If your username alludes to your birth year no doubt it is relatively well paid for your age

I think the majority of people on here are 40-50somethings who feel anyone turning over <£100k/y are 'slumming it'

Comment

The amount you should get out of your clients depends mainly on their location and sector plus you need to add in your expenses.

So if client A pays £280 but is happy from you to work at home 80% of the time while client B pays £300 but wants you on site 100% of the time, if your travel was £30 a day to each then you would be better of with client A.

However that's ignoring the fact that client B would allow you to use the greatest and latest technology.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You say £300 isn't well paid?.
            From memory the average contractor is on £450-550 per day.

I must admit I did a spell on £350 a few years ago, and had to run a flat, yet made a reasonable profit.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              From memory the average contractor is on £450-550 per day.

I must admit I did a spell on £350 a few years ago, and had to run a flat, yet made a reasonable profit.
              £525 according to https://www.ipse.co.uk/sites/default..._Q2_2017_0.pdf

...but...

"The quarterly IPSE Confidence Index report for Q2 of 2017
              was compiled from the responses of 691 IPSE members,
              who replied to an online survey. In Q2 2017, the survey
              composition of respondents was: 15 per cent female and 83
              per cent male (2% undeclared); an average age of 50, and
              an average of 11.9 years freelancing. They were also highly
              educated, with 32 per cent educated up to postgraduate
              level and 54 per cent with an undergraduate degree as their
              highest qualification. "

so £300 for a first contract shouldn't really be compared to the "average"

Comment

As others have said, "well paid" is entirely relative.

From my brief experience working with design agencies and the calls I get when I'm on the bench, I'd say £300 a day is about the norm, at least here in the north west. It's a very different sort of world to what I guess most people here work in. Probably smaller, shorter gigs, lots of repeat work for other clients, more flexibility. I'd describe it as "freelancing" rather than "contracting".

Comment

300 * 75% = £225 a day. Equivalent to about £85k a year permie salary. Assuming you have no bench and take no holidays, and assumption x and y, and blah blah.

It's not that simple of course lol.

Biggest piece of advice is get yourself a contractor accountant who lets you use FreeAgent. Setup a call and ask them all your stupid questions. Then after the call, email them a list of the even stupider questions you forgot to ask on the call.

That's what I did, helped me a hell of a lot.

Oh, and buy the macbook. I splashed out on a Surface Pro 4 prior to starting my first contract, risky but I'm happy I did that now the money is coming in instead of wasting money on something I didn't want.

(Having said that, my SP4 was only £950, and I do generally view Apple as overpriced tulip and wouldn't buy anything from them myself :P)

Edit: my first swear word! I finally understand why you all use the word "tulip" so much
                  Last edited by l35kee; 11 August 2017, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    As someone who helps companies enable BYOD policies I have never come across any company that would allow it for access to source code. Security and intellectual property being the main reasons.

BYOD is good for general collaboration and almost always excludes access to customers' personal information and source code.
                    In 2013 / 2014, I used my own Mac Book Pro for a GOV.UK project in the public sector. I was around the Government Digital Service area of the woods.

A lot contractors would ruck up to work in GOV.UK with various BYOD machines, I saw loads of Mac Books, Asus Transformers and Surface 3 or whatever was portable and hackable on an overground train ride to London. The most important thing for security cleared (SC) projects was setting up file system encryption on the HDD for all source code and cloud container stuff. For Macs it was FIPS 2.0 and I forget what the tool was for Windows, maybe it was called BitLocker or something.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, then check out Github Alpha GOV https://github.com/alphagov

To OP just get a second hand MacBook Air the Intel cpu from your local CEX shop or search for them EBay. 5-6k is a load of money to waste on a start-up business.

PS: I left the public sector in 2014 long before the mess of off-payroll worker rules was flipping announced. Basically, it killed off the easy contracting for most us talented people working on thew behalf of decent consultancies and I wouldn't touch it [Cap Gemini - HMRC - funded company RTDCTwat thing] with a barge pole now.

Comment

This is a really long thread. Stick the laptop on a credit card once you've started the contract and been there a week with whatever Cuisinart PoS you have lying around. They may even expect you to use their equipment (for security purposes or such like) - it's not a massive IR35 indicator, just make sure you also have your own modest equipment for running your business and / or remote access to theirs.

Comment

Working...
                      X