• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Banking and Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill your boots!

You obviously only want to hear people say yes, buy an expensive Mac, buy expensive office equipment (which will never be used). So go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by bb1990 View Post
      Does this not depend on the type of contracting though? With most web applications people use Github and cloud servers which are not hosted internally therefore leaving it pretty normal be accessed by any device.

I don't know the percentage of people here that are web developers but I would think using client computers and equipment would be mostly directed at IT techs and programmers rather than web devs?

opinion
      Not really, even if BYOD the local IT bods will insist it’s loaded with company anti virus, licence manager, security profile, web proxy, stuff like that. And I’ve only had BYOD once, in 27 years of contracting.

It’s more dependent on the type of clientco really, media, arty type places more likelihood, but 99% Of contracts are banks, utilities, gov, very large enterprises, where it’s toe the line or feck off.

Being honest I’d say you’ve no chance of using anything not corporate on clientco business.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Not really, even if BYOD the local IT bods will insist it’s loaded with company anti virus, licence manager, security profile, web proxy, stuff like that. And I’ve only had BYOD once, in 27 years of contracting.

It’s more dependent on the type of clientco really, media, arty type places more likelihood, but 99% Of contracts are banks, utilities, gov, very large enterprises, where it’s toe the line or feck off.

Being honest I’d say you’ve no chance of using anything not corporate on clientco business.
        As someone who helps companies enable BYOD policies I have never come across any company that would allow it for access to source code. Security and intellectual property being the main reasons.

BYOD is good for general collaboration and almost always excludes access to customers' personal information and source code.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          As someone who helps companies enable BYOD policies I have never come across any company that would allow it for access to source code. Security and intellectual property being the main reasons.

BYOD is good for general collaboration and almost always excludes access to customers' personal information and source code.
          And as you no doubt well aware, any BYOD service will partition off a part of your device and make it part of the Client's WAN totally separate to your own stuff. And you don't need a lot of grunt to drive the equivalent of a Citrix session after all.

OP - As others have said, you've had good advice from people who know what they're talking about and getting huffy doesn't impress anyone. Your new job is not being a web dev, it's being a contractor. Do it as well as you can.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I have in SME companies varying from media to defence. However in all cases I had to sign some form of confidentially agreement.

Thing is you cannot reuse or show off the information/designs/code due to the agreement you signed, and if the company is in defence you risk ending up in prison if you do so.

I know front-end developers, UX designers, graphic designers etc have portfolios so need to be able to show their previous work but the intellectual property belongs to the client and you have to ensure you have it in your contract what you can/can't show. I've had to have some of my confidentially agreements altered so I personally am allowed to describe on my CV the work I have done for a particular client.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 10 August 2017, 11:28.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Credit - that's what built the modern world!

Welcome BB!

I hope you're not leaving your job before you've got a signed contract.

With regards to loans, I seem to recall I got a business loan. The bank didn't seem to bother. As long as I personally guaranteed it. ( I guess my position is if you're a start-up and you're not running on loans then you're not a business; you're a hobby)

With regards to Macs. when I was at Experian my Tech Lead (contractor) had all our .NET stuff loaded virtually on his personal MAC. I don't know why. Nobody seemed to bother.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                With regards to loans, I seem to recall I got a business loan. The bank didn't seem to bother. As long as I personally guaranteed it.
                A personal guarantee on a business loan is simply a personal loan with worse terms and conditions.
                Maybe that's a bit picky, and I suppose the interest payments can be used to offset against corporation tax.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Does this not depend on the type of contracting though? With most web applications people use Github and cloud servers which are not hosted internally therefore leaving it pretty normal be accessed by any device.

I don't know the percentage of people here that are web developers but I would think using client computers and equipment would be mostly directed at IT techs and programmers rather than web devs?
                  As you can probably guess from my username, I'm a web developer. I've been able to use my own equipment on 2 projects in the last 3 years or so I've been contracting.

One of them was a digital/web design agency, I imagine it's quite common for them to have BYOD. Problem is they don't tend to pay too well, so if you're happy slumming it on 300 a day for these you might be using your own equipment a lot more.

A lot of web development these days isn't making pretty looking websites though. I'd say more than half of what I've worked on have been internal web apps for large organisations. They probably won't let you BYOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Welcome BB!

I hope you're not leaving your job before you've got a signed contract.

With regards to loans, I seem to recall I got a business loan. The bank didn't seem to bother. As long as I personally guaranteed it. ( I guess my position is if you're a start-up and you're not running on loans then you're not a business; you're a hobby)

With regards to Macs. when I was at Experian my Tech Lead (contractor) had all our .NET stuff loaded virtually on his personal MAC. I don't know why. Nobody seemed to bother.
                    Thanks Cirrus!

I do think in the web development / programming world it's a lot more "hot swappable" if that makes sense - I do a lot of my freelance stuff currently on my work Mac because there's such a massive overlap between the 2, some of my personal projects bleed over into work and vice versa. Not to mention, if it takes hours to set up your Mac in such a way that's good for you and your development harmoniously.

I did read that about the guarantor loans. After some thinking and reading I do think a lot of people here are right in regards to running cheap to start off with. Found a decent Macbook I can work with for £600.

Comment

Found a decent Macbook I can work with for £600.
                      That's more like it.

Good luck.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X