• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Banking and Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It would give the impression that you're a newly started cheap contractor who is pragmatic.
    Rather than a newly started cheap contractor who is a berk, spending $$$$$ on a fashion accessory he doesn't need.

Contractors are disliked enough already, don't give them the ammunition.

I used to work with a guy who had a 20 year old Honda Civic. It was total tulipbox. It's purpose was to work as long as his contract, any longer being a bonus. He got more respect from the perms than almost all the other contractors.
    Used to get Rover 825/827’s with a 12 month ticket, £250 a go. It breaks get another.

Another guy rocked up in new Bentley or something, around £850 a month lease or so, shiit himself every renewal or cull time.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      Welcome to CUK

You may be able to buy it on personal credit and sell it lump sum to your business once it has the money to pay for it

You'd need to check with an accountant though
      Thanks you.

Comment

Originally posted by bb1990 View Post
        What's with all the hate? I came here asking for help and advice and got flamed to tulip and saying I won't last long? Nice way to introduce a complete starter into the scene.

A Mac isn't just a fashion accessory. It's what I'm used to and most of the software I run require Mac. Not to mention Windows is a bitch to code on in general. I want to do the best job I can for the client, not be held back by hardware I could have spent a bit more on to get the job done properly and efficiently.

I'm not looking to be seen as the "oh look at me I'm a contractor." I'm looking to be seen as money well spent.

If anything, all of your nastiness and high and mighty attitude to a newbie contractor is what's killing the name of contractors. Not me. Take a look in the mirror.

NOTE: That wasn't to all of you.

No hate, just cold, hard advice that you asked for. Ignore us, go ahead and do what you want. Free country.

Good luck.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

And shiny new toys? Please. Don't wanna be rocking into a clients office being paid 300 quid a day using a microwave. What impression would that give.
          You are better of rocking up with a microwave than a 5K new shiny thing. Looking flash can lose you your contract.

BTW I've had a handful of clients I've been able to use my own laptops at. And half of those my own laptop was used in addition to theirs and put on the external network.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What's with all the hate? I came here asking for help and advice and got flamed to tulip and saying I won't last long? Nice way to introduce a complete starter into the scene.

A Mac isn't just a fashion accessory. It's what I'm used to and most of the software I run require Mac. Not to mention Windows is a bitch to code on in general. I want to do the best job I can for the client, not be held back by hardware I could have spent a bit more on to get the job done properly and efficiently.

I'm not looking to be seen as the "oh look at me I'm a contractor." I'm looking to be seen as money well spent.

If anything, all of your nastiness and high and mighty attitude to a newbie contractor is what's killing the name of contractors. Not me. Take a look in the mirror.

Unlikely you’ll be able to use your own Mac or anything on client time though, unless they have BYOD and I’ve only had that once, your stuck with the stock Dell or HP, compliant with clientco policy.

Comment

Not to mention Windows is a bitch to code on in general.
              nonsense

Comment

What's with all the hate?
                No hate. That's in your mind. Just practical advice delivered directly without any pretence of being nice.

A Mac isn't just a fashion accessory.
                Oh yes it is. I have one and it's not needed as Windows is far more useful unless you only develop for a Mac (good luck getting into that market). And seeing as you need a computer to RUN YOUR BUSINESS then a £200 Chromebook will do that.
                Don't get me wrong. Mac's are nice but don't kid yourself you need one. Get one if you want and reduce your warchest by a month. Just be honest with yourself.

It's what I'm used to and most of the software I run require Mac. Not to mention Windows is a bitch to code on in general. I want to do the best job I can for the client, not be held back by hardware I could have spent a bit more on to get the job done properly and efficiently.
                Until you have a client you don't know what you need. And as I said earlier you are unlikely to be able to use your own laptop anyway.
                And if a Mac is what you're used to and what you need to do your job then you'll struggle to find a client as they expect you to use the same as everyone else in the team. And if that means a really awful SCM, slow laptops, badly thought out test platforms and code reviewers who you disagree with, then so be it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You are better of rocking up with a microwave than a 5K new shiny thing. Looking flash can lose you your contract.

BTW I've had a handful of clients I've been able to use my own laptops at. And half of those my own laptop was used in addition to theirs and put on the external network.
                  Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Unlikely you’ll be able to use your own Mac or anything on client time though, unless they have BYOD and I’ve only had that once, your stuck with the stock Dell or HP, compliant with clientco policy.
                  Does this not depend on the type of contracting though? With most web applications people use Github and cloud servers which are not hosted internally therefore leaving it pretty normal be accessed by any device.

I don't know the percentage of people here that are web developers but I would think using client computers and equipment would be mostly directed at IT techs and programmers rather than web devs?

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
                  nonsense
                  opinion

Comment

Nonsense.

We are merely pointing out if you p*ss the permies off then that particular contract won't last long. P*ssing permies off can simply be done by turning up with shiny new things they can't afford..

If you stay on the forum a while you will find different stories of how contractors p*ss permies off and those permies will make life hell for the contractor or get them immediately terminated.

Mal told you to get the cheapest Mac that will do the job.

I pointed out the issue with expensive equipment. Remember it is your business machine not your personal one. You lose it or it gets stolen then it impacts how your business is run. So getting a machine that you can replace easily s more prudent.

We aren't here to be your friend as you are a competitor - though to be fair I don't think anyone who answered you does what you do - we are here to give you advice which may be blunt but it will help ensure you spend many years working as a contractor without trouble.

Unfortunately people come to contracting see all the money they can make then end up in financial trouble because their contract gets canned after a month or they have serious personal problems e.g. illness, family illness so can't work.

Comment

Does this not depend on the type of contracting though? With most web applications people use Github and cloud servers which are not hosted internally therefore leaving it pretty normal be accessed by any device.

I don't know the percentage of people here that are web developers but I would think using client computers and equipment would be mostly directed at IT techs and programmers rather than web devs?
                      A few of my previous clients have provided me with Macs.

And as already pointed out a lot don't allow you to put your own machine on their networks at all or internal network.

Comment

Working...
                      X