• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warchest Advice with loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get another permie job with higher salary and better benefits, or at least start looking!

No point in staying (and saving) if it is as bad as you say it is.

Good Luck.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
      Sent you a PM, might help
      Oh you tease!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Oh you tease!
        Nothing exciting. Got approached about a front end developer role at a bank that might be good for the OP. Happy to wait for a month notice period if needed as they need 4 Dev's apparently.

Of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt as it's from an agent.

But sent details via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by codedaddy View Post
          Thanks for all the replies people. Liked them just to show I have read each one.

So I do have a mortgage, wife and 2 kids. I do get a pretty decent wage permie at 45k but I have that much going out paying off debt which added over the years after looking after my family and never getting my original pay rise constantly until recently.

Jobs pretty stable been here 5 years but it's a bit toxic and getting worse all the time. More reason to leave.

My skill set is full stack developer. I have a wide range of different experience and am very good at what I do even if I say so myself.

Looking for frontend role or javascript role ideally.

I admit the 6 month savings thing has me beat as I know that will not happen for a very very long time. [emoji20]

Edit

Wife does work weekends but not enough money to cover us although she has said she could work more in the week if it's helps moving jobs

I'm not surprised you want to go contracting. How the hell can anybody survive in this day and age on £ 45k with a wife and family to support?!?! The trouble is, can you be successful against a backdrop of superior competition and a dwindling market? I ended up contracting after being laid off in the dotcom crash and 12 months without work. In your shoes I doubt I'd have made that decision willingly. But it worked out for me. I'm a firm believer in fate. Fate and a superior intellect combined with world class technical skills and business acumen ;-)
          Last edited by oliverson; 3 August 2017, 19:46. Reason: typo!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Fate and a superior intellect combined with world class technical skills and business acumen ;-)
            So you are saying you got lucky with a desperate client then?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Simple solution is to send the wife out to work during the week.

In fact send the kids out too.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                Simple solution is to send the wife out to work during the week.

In fact send the kids out too.

That's only becoming more of an option once youngest starts full time school in September.

Comment

I went contracting with debts and no warchest. Best move I ever made

Comment

Originally posted by hydraulicwave View Post
                    I went contracting with debts and no warchest. Best move I ever made
                    Were you married with children at the time?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Were you married with children at the time?
                      I was. Married with three kids. All teenagers. Up to my eye balls in debt.

Comment

Working...
                      X