• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract termination - what to put on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract termination - what to put on CV

Hi all,

Well my first foray into the charity sector didn't go as planned!

Face didn't fit, couldn't find the correct way to work with the team and I'm out, as informed by the agency.

No dramas but I don't know whether to include it on the CV.

On the plus side it was about GDPR, and I can say what I delivered in that time. On the other hand, it was only two months (mid June to mid August) and I have been terminated by the agency so I don't know what that means in terms of references. Do the agency just give dates or do they have to say that I was terminated?

Over to the forumites...

Nothing to put the contract ended leave it at that it happens all the time just move on. Start-end dates agency will confirm those if required do not think they are allowed to say anything further.

Comment

With agency referencing they only need to confirm dates usually, unless you really breached the contract and did something illegal then don't worry about it. If you want to find another role with GDPR then I recommend to add it to your CV.
      If you really don't want it on your CV, then you maybe asked to supply a personal reference to confirm your gap on the CV.

It happened to a friend of mine, went into a contract and then realised it was a big mistake to accept the role, as the lead / manager was really awful, she quickly found another contract (within 3 or 4 weeks of starting) didn't include that contract on her CV, she supplied me as a character witness for the gap in her CV and all they asked me is to confirm I have known her for x years and confirm she was not into trouble during that period (i.e. not spending jail time etc)

Comment

Oh if you include the contract in your CV (I recommend that) then you need to come up with a very good excuse why it lasted only 2 months e.g. too much travel, project downsized or cancelled etc

Comment

Did you actually do anything that was worthy of note on a CV?
          Are you going to have to get 'artistic' to get enough bullet points in for it to look credible?

I think two months is plenty long enough to put on a CV and I'm sure the mention of GDPR is going to be a bonus. I'd say you are fine. Nothing wrong with a consultant coming in for two months to deliver and leave IMO.
          What you are going to do about being a cockwomble I've no idea though

Agency will only give dates in a reference. Anything else opens them up to potential lawsuits if it's harmful so they won't go there. Very little chance whoever you give the reference to is going to contact your agency anyway. They really want juicy client hiring managers names.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 31 July 2017, 15:29.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            On the plus side it was about GDPR, and I can say what I delivered in that time.
            That's what you put on your CV. What you did and what you achieved. Nothing else.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What you are going to do about being a cockwomble I've no idea though
              What's on your CV?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                What's on your CV?
                Fifty pound note.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice all
                  , it's almost like you saw the agency email NLUK!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                    Oh if you include the contract in your CV (I recommend that) then you need to come up with a very good excuse why it lasted only 2 months e.g. too much travel, project downsized or cancelled etc
                    Nonsense.

I had a gig that was 7 weeks long. I just put it on my CV but didn't put a whole lot of detail in it. I think I've only been asked once or twice about it. I just say the requirement was only for a couple of months and I delivered what was needed in that time.

Comment

Working...
                    X