• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bu**er - the "in my mind, they'll never go for it" figure to stay has been offered..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoke your right of substitution with current gig and do the new gig.

Comment

Thank you all...

For the most part, you have all supported my initial thoughts... move.

eek nails it - Which offers the best option for progression on to the next ... ? = Move

perplexed is on my hymn sheet - There was a reason i was looking... that reason has not gone away and the additional work is not what I do or want to do = Move

northernladuk makes good points - Breech of contract would be an avoidable hassle that would burn bridges, the figure was a unicorn, I'm gob smacked the they found an untapped sofa! It was enough to make me second guess myself, hence the post.

Stek - pop back to your bridge, there's a good troll ;-)

BrilloPad - Would be a great idea... if mine wasn't the second notice to be given on the same day and the 4th in as many months... its not my skills so much as the organisational memory they are trying to secure ... there isn't a suitable subby :-( (I did mention it was in decent didn't I?!?)

Thank you all... I shall have a great war story about how I once turned down £65k for 6 months of tender writing, bull$hit and password resetting...

cheers,
      mj

Comment

Dont stay for loyalty - ever. I've done this twice and its cost me thousands in return.
        Try not to second guess your well laid plans - I regret this everytime.
        And don't be swayed by a client desperate enough to offer you stacks of cash to get them out of a hole, to them, its a plaster to apply until they can replace you.

Comment

I would say it depends on your age.
          And on where you are in your contracting lifecycle.
          And on how healthy your financial plans are.

So you've managed to get £200/day at the current client, which is a massive rise by any standards. Imagine if the contract ran on and on at that rate. It could be a good decision to stay, if the answers to the criteria above suited.

If you're younger or earlier on in your contract life and don't have the financial commitments and are well covered on life expenses then it's probably better you go for the contract where you can learn and build a better base to launch into better contracts later.

That's just the way I see it. I stuck to my dated skillset but it lasted me long enough to get on with the rest of my life. To me now, IT is simply a nuisance I suffer for the sake of soon quitting and focussing on what's really important.

Comment

I'd probably move on, but it is a lot of money. One problem with extending is you are then getting close to the 24 month rule, so if you have a lot of travel expenses that could make another extension prohibitive.

But remember, successful businesses avoid burning bridges with potentially lucrative clients.

So if you do move on, tell them thank you for the offer, but you hadn't heard back from them and had accepted another offer before you received their latest offer, and that you have to keep your word. Tell them that you are willing to do what you can within the constraints of your new role to help them, that the new guys can contact you with questions. Tell them if it is going to be more than an hour a week that you'll need to reach an agreement on a retainer or some other fee structure, but you are glad to smooth the transition as much as you can.

At worst, they should respect your reasons for going. At best, they pay you a little bit to access that organisational memory, you get a nice little money spinner on the side for not much effort, you keep a relationship that could mean a nice lucrative contract in future, and you get an institutional reputation of "he's the guy we lost by taking too long to give him an offer, that if we could have kept him this might not have gone down in flames."

And if you do get a nice little agreement with them, it probably makes it more likely that HMRC chases someone else on IR35 cases. In fact, just the very fact of proposing it to them is acting like a business, not like a employee. It won't really change your IR35 status at all, but it's the kind of thing you put in your IR35 dossier and bring it out if they ever start harassing you about it.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              I'd probably move on, but it is a lot of money. One problem with extending is you are then getting close to the 24 month rule, so if you have a lot of travel expenses that could make another extension prohibitive.

But remember, successful businesses avoid burning bridges with potentially lucrative clients.

So if you do move on, tell them thank you for the offer, but you hadn't heard back from them and had accepted another offer before you received their latest offer, and that you have to keep your word. Tell them that you are willing to do what you can within the constraints of your new role to help them, that the new guys can contact you with questions. Tell them if it is going to be more than an hour a week that you'll need to reach an agreement on a retainer or some other fee structure, but you are glad to smooth the transition as much as you can.

At worst, they should respect your reasons for going. At best, they pay you a little bit to access that organisational memory, you get a nice little money spinner on the side for not much effort, you keep a relationship that could mean a nice lucrative contract in future, and you get an institutional reputation of "he's the guy we lost by taking too long to give him an offer, that if we could have kept him this might not have gone down in flames."

And if you do get a nice little agreement with them, it probably makes it more likely that HMRC chases someone else on IR35 cases. In fact, just the very fact of proposing it to them is acting like a business, not like a employee. It won't really change your IR35 status at all, but it's the kind of thing you put in your IR35 dossier and bring it out if they ever start harassing you about it.

Is the 24 month rule still a thing?

Comment

Read the newbie guides to the right. Have a look at the stickies at the top of the threads yadda yadda.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Id take the increase myself.

Love a warchest boost.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

Tell them that you are willing to do what you can within the constraints of your new role to help them, that the new guys can contact you with questions. Tell them if it is going to be more than an hour a week that you'll need to reach an agreement on a retainer or some other fee structure, but you are glad to smooth the transition as much as you can.

Yup... pretty much the conversation I have just had with the current agent. The use of it as an IR35 defense hadn't occurred to me but every little helps :-)

cheers,

Mj

Comment

I would probably stay because the myth of the next job being great is just that, at least IME. You get there and it's the same old sh**e, might as well stay and take the cash....

Comment

Working...
                      X