• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to leave current contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ... then all you have to cope with is the stress of a "bollocking" which won't last more than a few minutes especially if you don't reply, and remember to have a smirk on your face when you receive it..
    Reminds me of the story of a contractor summoned into the project managers office for a severe telling off. He walks out of the office, sits at his desk, and his colleague asks "What was that?".

"About £25".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Reflecting

My contract is actually only an 8 hour day, and yes in theory I could just do the hours and shake it off. It's hard though....i'm not genrally the kind of person who can do that (I really wish I was and need to take steps to get better at that).

A lot of the problem is how I'm handling it and I'm caving into the demands rather than pushing back. This is what everyone on the programme is doing though, it's like a whirlwind where nobody is managing upwards, managing client expectations etc. (It's a huge, juggernaut of a programme in investment banking and I work for an external consultancy/ supplier). It's put me off working supplier side a little, although I do have a consultancy background.

I'm used to doing generally fairly long hours demanding deadlines, fast paced etc, and tried to do all I can to meet the demands, but i think with this one being so extreme, i've just ....erm... lost the plot a bit

Having read these responses, I feel in better shape to take my next steps. I doubt i will see out my contract, I will do a thorough handover document, but not going to kill my self over the next couple of weeks by taking the stress.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Reminds me of the story of a contractor summoned into the project managers office for a severe telling off. He walks out of the office, sits at his desk, and his colleague asks "What was that?".

"About £25".

Comment

How long do you have left of your notice period?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            How long do you have left of your notice period?
            2 weeks (including this one) - I know I'm nearly there...*sobs*

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
              2 weeks (including this one) - I know I'm nearly there...*sobs*
              So, just over 8 working days to go.

You can do it.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just work 9-5/5:30, I don't see the problem. Man up!

If they can't manage a project then it's their problem not yours. If you are doing 10-12 hour days then you are not helping yourself and others as it sets a precedent that it's ok to work long hours and burn yourself out.

Comment

The 'situation' isn't causing the stress. Your reaction to the 'situation' is causing the stress...
                  one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                    The 'situation' isn't causing the stress. Your reaction to the 'situation' is causing the stress...

I kind of agree with that - however, in fairness, this is an abnormally stressful environment by most people's standard. the extremity of the situation is impacting on my ability to react appropriately

It's all relative of course, I know I'm not dying in a warzone, but it doesn't feel any easier.

I think I'm in the process of learning my personal limits.

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
                      I kind of agree with that - however, in fairness, this is an abnormally stressful environment by most people's standard. the extremity of the situation is impacting on my ability to react appropriately

It's all relative of course, I know I'm not dying in a warzone, but it doesn't feel any easier.

I think I'm in the process of learning my personal limits.
                      Your brain senses danger and releases a whole boat load of chemicals, adrenaline etc. It's an unpleasant feeling (sweaty hands, rapid heart beat) but that's all. It's normal.

CBT helps you manage these feelings by challenging your thoughts and therefore your responses.

I have links to some good resources that I find useful. PM me if you're interested.
                      Last edited by oscarose; 25 July 2017, 10:51.
                      one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                      X