• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate termination of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angeleyes View Post
    This happened to me twice now and I'm beginning to wonder if contractors should have some sort of employment protection.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

It may be you, it may not be you. But I was wondering, how long have you been a contractor for? You sound a bit like someone still with a lot of permie mentality left in your blood. That might possibly be impacting on your approach. Just because you've signed a six month (or whatever) contract, doesn't mean that they won't show you the front door at any time for whatever reason they choose. My personal approach is that of a tradeswoman, go in with my kit, do the job professionally and politely, pack up the tools and then go. No attitude, no 'look how clever I am', thanks very much and here's the invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        Once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern. It's you
        You are mean.

It depends on how many years as a contractor, we don't have enough information for that conclusion.

Comment

Twice, it's you

Nice to see how boringly judgmental some people can be. As I said before, on both occasions it was not work-related (and if anything my work was above standard) - but down to the whim of the person deciding to immediately terminate me because legally they could and I couldn't do anything about it.

I know some people have said that it's part of a contractor's lot and we should just suck it up etc but I think it unfair that the onus is always on us to be professional yet the client can be as unprofessional as they like. In case people haven't noticed, the market has slowed down somewhat over the past year and when your contract is abruptly terminated you are then faced with a long gap until the next assignment. At the minute I'm actually getting very close to missing a mortgage payment if something doesn't turn up as the last year has been very hard to get a decent assignment paying anything worth working for.

The circumstances were different in both cases and it was an unfortunate coincidence that they happened in the same year. Without boring you with the details one of the reasons was really trivial (concerned observing a minute's silence - which we had to do twice recently).

Comment

Nice to see how boringly judgmental some people can be. As I said before, on both occasions it was not work-related (and if anything my work was above standard) - but down to the whim of the person deciding to immediately terminate me because legally they could and I couldn't do anything about it.
            It's an Internet forum. What do you expect? You've got to see it from our side. You've not told us much and I'm sure many don't believe clients bin contractors 'on a whim'. I've not seen it in 10 years and ever heard of it on here before. There is always a reason. Maybe the fact you can't see one gives them more ammo to think it's you.
            I know some people have said that it's part of a contractor's lot and we should just suck it up etc but I think it unfair that the onus is always on us to be professional yet the client can be as unprofessional as they like. In case people haven't noticed, the market has slowed down somewhat over the past year and when your contract is abruptly terminated you are then faced with a long gap until the next assignment. At the minute I'm actually getting very close to missing a mortgage payment if something doesn't turn up as the last year has been very hard to get a decent assignment paying anything worth working for.
            There are plenty of contractors that give their notice in and leave clients in the lurch to chase the closer to home/better paid/dream gig so your statement is wrong.
            The circumstances were different in both cases and it was an unfortunate coincidence that they happened in the same year. Without boring you with the details one of the reasons was really trivial (concerned observing a minute's silence - which we had to do twice recently).
            So now we start seeing possible reasons...... Might have been worth starting off with this information so people had nothing so had to look at you as the only reason.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your average office based numpty in PS is there because they couldn't cut it in the outside world. They are naturally threatened by anyone for whom mediocrity isn't an aspiration. There's no protection - just move on.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

OP in any office there is politics.

To get on you need to do what Elliegirl said.

In short stop winding people up and get some manners.

For the public sector this means if you work in a environment with lots of people in the emergency services, armed forces or a history linked to either of these then any minutes silence you observe. Also don't reveal how you like the Tories, think Corbyn is useless and why you think Brexit is great.

If you have to talk about anything talk about the weather, find out about their unusual hobbies expressing interest and get them to talk about their children.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why ask for advice them moan about it?

I had some sympathy - though now its all gone. You need to move back to permanent and stop being a nasty piece of work.

And if you want to get a really honest opinion, try re-posting the question in general. You won't. Not only are you rude and ignorant, but a coward as well. I just hope you have no children as your genes need to be removed from the pool.

Comment

So, what were the reasons, please give the details.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I know some people have said that it's part of a contractor's lot and we should just suck it up etc but I think it unfair that the onus is always on us to be professional yet the client can be as unprofessional as they like.
                      They're the ones with the money.
                      In case people haven't noticed, the market has slowed down somewhat over the past year and when your contract is abruptly terminated you are then faced with a long gap until the next assignment. the client has no problem finding a contractor who won't piss them off
                      FTFY.

At the minute I'm actually getting very close to missing a mortgage payment if something doesn't turn up as the last year has been very hard to get a decent assignment paying anything worth working for.
                      Ah, ok. Now do you understand why the onus is on you to be professional at all times? Because if you're not, it's you who loses out, not the client.

Without boring you with the details one of the reasons was really trivial (concerned observing a minute's silence - which we had to do twice recently).
                      And there goes the last remnants of any sympathy for your plight.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      ...And if you want to get a really honest opinion, try re-posting the question in general. You won't....
                      No... but a mod could make it happen.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X