• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate termination of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immediate termination of contract

This happened to me twice now and I'm beginning to wonder if contractors should have some sort of employment protection. Without wanting to go into the details my work was of a good standard (dare I say excellent) and I had been with the organisations for a few weeks (one was a couple of months). However, my immediate line manager decided he didn't want to work with me any more and that was it. I would consider both individuals quite immature (dare I say bullies) and because they could terminate me immediately they enjoyed being able to do that, something they couldn't do to a perm staff member.

Both of these contracts were in the public sector so I'm wondering if this is something peculiar to the public sector. As I already mentioned this has happened twice now and it's making me reluctant to consider public sector contracts given how poorly they treat contractors (not to mention the whole IR35 business).

Originally posted by angeleyes View Post
    This happened to me twice now and I'm beginning to wonder if contractors should have some sort of employment protection. Without wanting to go into the details my work was of a good standard (dare I say excellent) and I had been with the organisations for a few weeks (one was a couple of months). However, my immediate line manager decided he didn't want to work with me any more and that was it. I would consider both individuals quite immature (dare I say bullies) and because they could terminate me immediately they enjoyed being able to do that, something they couldn't do to a perm staff member.

Both of these contracts were in the public sector so I'm wondering if this is something peculiar to the public sector. As I already mentioned this has happened twice now and it's making me reluctant to consider public sector contracts given how poorly they treat contractors (not to mention the whole IR35 business).
    Once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern. It's you

Comment

This happened to me twice now and I'm beginning to wonder if contractors should have some sort of employment protection.
      We do. There's a balance of contract negotiation between parties around termination of the business relationship, and then there's the possibility of there being an employment contract between individual and the company that provides services to the end client.

It's not specific to public sector. Situations where the client and individual providing services cannot work together, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the person paying the bills to want to engage a partner that they can work with.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How is employment protection going to help if you are a contractor?

Hard to say without some details of what they said when they terminated your contract. They must have given some reason, and if they didn't you should have some clue surely.

The PS is massive so you are going to get a range of cultures so difficult to give one statement that covers them all. They do seem to be a little more laid back than Private sector. I'm tempted to say it's more political and definitely more bureaucratic than private but I've been in Private sector gigs that have been both of those. Stuff takes a long time in PS so going in banging desks and pressuring people to get stuff done to push it on can often backfire on you.

Some permies in PS may have a different attitude to private. They are paid a lot less than their private sector peers so many can hold a grudge and don't like change/authority etc but on the whole most of them seem more than capable and motivated. I've had more disparaging looks about contractor rates in PS than private gigs looking back.

But I could go on for ages which would just be guessing and not helping you. I don't think you are going to get a general answer to a general question I am afraid.

Are you, erm, well, you know... not just you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can get this, become a permie. Otherwise accept that it's all part of the contracting game and move on.

Comment

If you want employment protection, go permanent. After 2 years, you get limited protection.

The rule is that if there is an incident between contractor and permanent, and the contractor is blameless, then the contractor always gets the push. Seen it a few times.

There are 2 explanations as to why it has happened twice: -
            1. The statistics of random events - there are usually far less random than people realize.
            2. You need to modify your behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If you want employment protection, go permanent. After 2 years, you get limited protection.

The rule is that if there is an incident between contractor and permanent, and the contractor is blameless, then the contractor always gets the push. Seen it a few times.

There are 2 explanations as to why it has happened twice: -
              1. The statistics of random events - there are usually far less random than people realize.
              2. You need to modify your behavior.
              Only in the land of the free and home of the brave dude!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Only in the land of the free and home of the brave dude!

I accepted the auto-correct.

And its the land of the fat. I think its still okay to be racist towards Americans and the French?

Comment

OP its almost certainly you but they maybe also very immature (a lot of younger managers are!) but their job title allows them to do this if they feel your not a team player or you give some bad attitude or vibe. Even 1 single email or off the cuff comment can cause immediate termination.

That's how it works perm or contractor you have no viable legal rights unless you have been perm for many many years & even then I have worked with good perms in IB with 15 years plus service who earned more than the manager as they had been there so long and guess what.........the manager constructively dismissed them with HR on his side by failing their appraisals (which triggers an official warning letter from HR if it happens more than once) saying they were well below the team peers working std to avoid paying them £70K PA + Bonus + Banking benefits. 100% Illegal yes but proving it in a court of law would be expensive & not worth the hassle unless you were earning a high 6 figure salary & had deep pockets for your legal costs. It happens a lot as well most people leave before being asked to avoid losing a potential reference. If you offer to find another job they will usually offer a reference to get rid of you without involving HR as that opens up another can of worms & can sometimes backfire on the firing manager.

If you wish to remain a contractor either be more humble or taste the constant pain of job hopping (which also kills your CV quite quickly in many cases). As you have found out twice whatever your doing is not working is it!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    OMG WTF stuff
                    Wow :|

Comment

Working...
                    X