• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Withholding Company Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I've spoken to an agent about a role before and bizarrely they accused me of being another agent. Not only do they attempt to cheat us it looks like they try it on each other as well. It's like the two references check. If they ring the contact for a gig and finds out it's xxx client they them just ring xxxx client and undercut the original agent. As annoying as it is it does make some sense.

You can often guess the client from location. I think we can all get a financial services client in Cheshire etc... The agents are quite happy to tell you once the CV is in anyway so it's not exactly a massive issue is it?
    Quite a common tactic I'm afraid. When my wife worked as a recruitment consultant and was a new face in a new town she was encouraged to register at other agencies to see what they had, how much they were paying etc. Suffice to say, didn't stop in that job very long.

Comment

They tend to tell you when it gets that far, maybe sometimes not until they are interested but what's the problem not knowing the client apart from PiP's secario? . Annoying AF and bemusing why it's done like that but why stop them submitting just because you don't know the client in general?
      If you do not know where it's going you risk multiple CV's from different agents. In a lively market maybe not such a concern, but under current conditions best to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
        If you do not know where it's going you risk multiple CV's from different agents. In a lively market maybe not such a concern, but under current conditions best to avoid.
        That happened to me a couple of years ago.

I got the contract then refused to sign an exclusivity deal with the agency. I simply pointed out due to the agency not telling me the client's name I had been put forward before so couldn't sign it. To be fair on this agent they acted quickly.

Oh and the market wasn't lively I just lived in the right location to make the contract feasible as a commute.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
          That's a very good point and one I spout when people ask about applying for gigs twice. Pip made that point earlier which I concede. I've had this happen to me but one agent said bank in Manchester, the other said finance in cheshire and ended up being the same gig. Agents started arguing with the client while I was sat in the car park for the interview and the client cancelled the interview.

So yes, something to be very wary of but I don't think should be enough to refuse to deal with all agencies just because more often than not they won't tell you to protect themselves from fishing. It's a balance.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's a very good point and one I spout when people ask about applying for gigs twice. Pip made that point earlier which I concede. I've had this happen to me but one agent said bank in Manchester, the other said finance in cheshire and ended up being the same gig. Agents started arguing with the client while I was sat in the car park for the interview and the client cancelled the interview.

So yes, something to be very wary of but I don't think should be enough to refuse to deal with all agencies just because more often than not they won't tell you to protect themselves from fishing. It's a balance.
            Agents want to protect themselves from fishing; fine. Contractors are also entitled to protect themselves from fishing and other abuses.

The point from me is that when an agent wants you to give them exclusive rights to introduce your company to the end client, you cannot do so when you are lacking information. You can guess who the client is in a number of cases, sure. What happens when you can't or the spec is so generic it literally could be anyone in an area? It could be a client you have fundamental moral objections to. It could be a client that you know from others is a pretty crap client to engage with. Whatever the reason, it's an expectation that you blindly agree to be put forward to an anonymous client.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
              Agents want to protect themselves from fishing; fine. Contractors are also entitled to protect themselves from fishing and other abuses.

The point from me is that when an agent wants you to give them exclusive rights to introduce your company to the end client, you cannot do so when you are lacking information. You can guess who the client is in a number of cases, sure. What happens when you can't or the spec is so generic it literally could be anyone in an area? It could be a client you have fundamental moral objections to. It could be a client that you know from others is a pretty crap client to engage with. Whatever the reason, it's an expectation that you blindly agree to be put forward to an anonymous client.
              With moral objections agents normally ask you if you have issues working in the gaming, defence etc industry even if they don't give the client name.

Comment

Just had another one. Rocsearch this time.

Digital agency in centre of Bristol - really good match for your skillset - ReactJS, C# & C++. (Really?!!).

Where in centre of Bristol are they? Close to Temple Meads? Cue lots of mumbling & stuttering from agent: "err I can't tell you exactly where they are at the moment"

Me: "That's because they don't exist do they?". <click>

What an amateur - he'd obviously cherrypicked the core skills from my cv from the last 20 years and conjured up some role with the perfect skillset match.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  With moral objections agents normally ask you if you have issues working in the gaming, defence etc industry even if they don't give the client name.
                  Never had that at all.

I've no moral issues, it's all work and money...

I guess my point is more it's folly to expect anybody to be happy and willingly agree to be represented when you know nothing about who the end client is. For one thing, I'd want to be able to tailor my CV to reflect elements I can research about that end client that aren't in the job spec...

Comment

The thing is, the agent's got to tell you who the client is at some point during the process, so why not dispense with the subterfuge and bullsh*t and just tell you up front.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      Never had that at all.

I've no moral issues, it's all work and money...
                      I must sound more ethical than you.

Comment

Working...
                      X