+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Posts 21 to 22 of 22

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like you're approaching everything really sensibly; which is good. Having the contacts who are happy to work on a day rate is fantastic.

Long sales cycles are a double edged sword - usually very very lucrative opportunities but one job we worked on in pre-sales the client procrastinated over for a year! However, at the end of it we finished the job and there was 30k profit in it (this was one major determining factor for me leaving permie land - got sick of making a lot of money for the company owners)

One thing on the BDM stuff particularly social media; you absolutely have to have a presence, but make sure you focus your time and your energy on face to face networking, using your social media efforts to back up your meetings. For example, I've a couple of LinkedIn articles I regularly point small business owners to which they've found useful, which has given me credability. Not lead to any jobs yet, but the reputational return I got by spending just an hour or two writing an article to me seems worth it. Posting an infographic to "Insta" however, would be a total waste of time. It's all about knowing your market... I've read three books on the topic because it's interesting and I still feel a little lost.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfx View Post
    It sounds like you're approaching everything really sensibly; which is good. Having the contacts who are happy to work on a day rate is fantastic.

Long sales cycles are a double edged sword - usually very very lucrative opportunities but one job we worked on in pre-sales the client procrastinated over for a year! However, at the end of it we finished the job and there was 30k profit in it (this was one major determining factor for me leaving permie land - got sick of making a lot of money for the company owners)

One thing on the BDM stuff particularly social media; you absolutely have to have a presence, but make sure you focus your time and your energy on face to face networking, using your social media efforts to back up your meetings. For example, I've a couple of LinkedIn articles I regularly point small business owners to which they've found useful, which has given me credability. Not lead to any jobs yet, but the reputational return I got by spending just an hour or two writing an article to me seems worth it. Posting an infographic to "Insta" however, would be a total waste of time. It's all about knowing your market... I've read three books on the topic because it's interesting and I still feel a little lost.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!
    Thanks again, Matt. Social media / blogging is something that Ive only considered briefly and should think about more.

Keep 'em coming!
    Where there's muck there's brass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3