• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency contract signed but I want to stay now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency contract signed but I want to stay now

Hi all

I need some urgent advice on this matter so please help me.

I have signed a contract with the agency for my new employer and handed in my notice to my current employer. However, my current manager has asked me to stay and match my package and extend my contract from my 6m period to a year. This is a surprise to me and I decide to stay as I do genuinely enjoy working here.

My question is my signed contract with my new employer. Will there be any issue if I turn then down now? All I have done is signed the contract with the agency. Prescreening has yet been started. What's the best approach to discuss this with the agent?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hong

Originally posted by Hong888 View Post
    Hi all

I need some urgent advice on this matter so please help me.

I have signed a contract with the agency for my new employer and handed in my notice to my current employer. However, my current manager has asked me to stay and match my package and extend my contract from my 6m period to a year. This is a surprise to me and I decide to stay as I do genuinely enjoy working here.

My question is my signed contract with my new employer. Will there be any issue if I turn then down now? All I have done is signed the contract with the agency. Prescreening has yet been started. What's the best approach to discuss this with the agent?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hong
    Just be honest with the agent. Tell them the situation, say that you will be invoking the notice clause in your contract (presume you have one), and they are therefore unlikely to want to you put you on site for a few days, as this will annoy the client. Expect them to bitch and moan and try and bully you into taking their contract as they are losing commission though. And you will have burnt that bridge, so unlikely to get work through that agency again. Just make sure you have the other one signed and you are sure the work is there first.

Comment

Employers? Honestly? Someone needs to understand what they do and who they supply their services to a little better

You also need to understand who you signed your contract with. You mention you signed it with the agency and then with the <cough> employer later on. What's the score? If you understand what I mention in my first comment this would come pretty naturally to you.

You've considered the 24 month rule?

You're IR35 status is watertight, particularly talking 1 year contracts when you've already been there x months?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 29 June 2017, 12:34.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Give notice on your new contract immediately.

Or ask them if then want to pay loads more to take you on.

Comment

Why did you hand your notice in to your old client if you wanted to stay?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just to clarify, I went direct to this new client but they use an agent for contractor, so I am signing a contract with the agent and suppose the agent will sign a separate contract with the client. :-)

I don't think this is a issue for my client. I know a lot of contractors have stayed for over 24months. But thanks for bringing this to my attention

I handed in my notice because I wasn't expecting a matching offer from my current client and I have already received the new contract from the new client/agent

Comment

Just to clarify, I went direct to this new client but they use an agent for contractor, so I am signing a contract with the agent and suppose the agent will sign a separate contract with the client. :-)

I don't think this is a issue for my client. I know a lot of contractors have stayed for over 24months. But thanks for bringing this to my attention

I handed in my notice because I wasn't expecting a matching offer from my current client and I have already received the new contract from the new client/agent
              Have you given notice on the new contract?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Have you given notice on the new contract?
                No I haven't yet. I have explained to my manager my intention to stay provided that a new contract with new rate and extended end date is written and signed. Then I'll go back to the new agency/client but I won't hand in my notice without signing a new contract here first.

Comment

No I haven't yet. I have explained to my manager my intention to stay provided that a new contract with new rate and extended end date is written and signed. Then I'll go back to the new agency/client but I won't hand in my notice without signing a new contract here first.
                  Did you say prescreening has not yet been started for the new contract anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Did you say prescreening has not yet been started for the new contract anyway?
                    Yes that's correct. I have to fill in all the info before they can start the prescreening. But I have been told that I don't have to wait for this to be completed before I start on site which is quite strange for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X