• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Skillsets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Skillsets

Just checking on jobserve for most sought after skills with good rates are :

Java developers 272 contracts
    C# developers 125 contracts
    Javascript developer 100 contracts

Does it make sense to retrain in these skills. Any members with these skills please share your experience.

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

Does it make sense to retrain in these skills. Any members with these skills please share your experience.
    Don't have any development skills but, whilst rarely top rates, there are rarely no vacancies for Project Managers in my experience.

It's a good reward for doing very little. Hmmm, did I just say that?

Comment

You could re-train but with no experience you are going to join the end of a very long queue.

If it were that easy it would be a much longer queue.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What do you do at the moment for a start?

Comment

Depends what you do at the moment. X-training from C# to Java is easy IMO and vice-versa.
          The number of jobs available doesn't show the full picture. You'd want to know the no of applicants to job ad ratio too and what other technology skills are needed. I'm still trying to learn to walk on water, a common requirement

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
            What do you do at the moment for a start?
            I am an oracle DBA. My coding skills are on pl/sql, perl and shell scripting. So it will not be that steep learning curve.
            But at late 40s age is not on my side.
            I think DBA role may disappear in the next 5 years because databases are getting better at self managing , companies are moving to cloud and support roles are being outsourced.
            Another change I have noticed is that there are many more roles for sql server as compared to oracle, earlier it was the other way around.
            Last edited by Andy2; 17 June 2017, 07:18.

Comment

Certainly on the C# side I wouldn't bother as the rates have been gradually eroded (or at least not increased) over the last 10 years and the commoditisation of the skillset. No doubt there will be pockets of people on here who say they're earning £1k per day. Good for them.

I regularly consider moving over to Java/Scala but I'll have to be lucky and get a contract (or god forbid a permie role for a couple of year) which will give me the opportunity to do that.

Although I have done a fair amount of Javascript over the years I'm tired of having to learn the latest framework. Angular (1, 2 or 4/io), React, Node, etc... take your pick. If you're good at learning new frameworks every few months then this may be for you.

Comment

I am an oracle DBA. My coding skills are on pl/sql, perl and shell scripting. So it will not be that steep learning curve.
                But at late 40s age is not on my side.
                I think DBA role may disappear in the next 5 years because databases are getting better at self managing , companies are moving to cloud and support roles are being outsourced.
                Another change I have noticed is that there are many more roles for sql server as compared to oracle, earlier it was the other way around.
                Perl 6! If it ever gets going you'll be quids in

Comment

What are you basing that on?

When you're up against some millennial who already has 10 years of commercial experience, then you're not going to stand a chance / will want to kill yourself.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I am an oracle DBA. My coding skills are on pl/sql, perl and shell scripting. So it will not be that steep learning curve. But at late 40s age is not on my side.
                    You could consider Big Data technologies like Sqoop, Hive, Pig, Impala and Hadoop Administration. This would nicely fit to your existing profile and am guessing will have a shelf life until your retirement or thereabouts.

Oh, remember to use the term ELT instead of ETL
                    Last edited by Brummie; 17 June 2017, 16:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X