• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asking for advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for advice

I've heard what the general consensus is on working for a charity (ie. Don't do it) But this would be on a GDPR project, the main reason for me going for it.

Tô be fair, the charity is one of the biggest in the UK, so maybe not so disorganised?

Got the offer, lowish rate and away from home so mulling over it and I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

Any other irons in the fire? Interesting role?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One interview back at current client, went OK, but I'm becoming part of the furniture there and doesn't offer any future.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post

Tô be fair, the charity is one of the biggest in the UK, so maybe not so disorganised?

Thanks
        Don't bet on it.
        World's Best Martini

Comment

Keep an open mind - if you're anti/neg now then forget it. Don't want to be 2 weeks in and feel like jumping etc.

The opportunity may give you chance to broaden horizons and fit with your own personal values so you may even enjoy the experience!
          one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
            Don't bet on it.
            This. I've done work for the biggest UK charity in their given field (and a very big charity generally) and they were utterly, embarrassingly shambolic.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              This. I've done work for the biggest UK charity in their given field (and a very big charity generally) and they were utterly, embarrassingly shambolic.
              Like many of the supposed Blue Chip enterprises. Current client co. is one of , if not the, biggest in it's market. Major global enterprise organisation and some of the stuff going on is just mind boggling.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Like many of the supposed Blue Chip enterprises. Current client co. is one of , if not the, biggest in it's market. Major global enterprise organisation and some of the stuff going on is just mind boggling.
                Most major businesses only make money by having some sort of monopoly position e.g. paying almost no tax.

Especially true of banks. Oddly the only organized one I ever worked for was Goldmine sucks. They are supposed to be run by the illuminati or something. However they are incredibly well organized.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Most major businesses only make money by having some sort of monopoly position e.g. paying almost no tax.

Especially true of banks. Oddly the only organized one I ever worked for was Goldmine sucks. They are supposed to be run by the illuminati or something. However they are incredibly well organized.
                  http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2180739

Comment

If they're utter shambolic maybe we should be helping them improve? They also don't have deep pockets to be spending on IT systems, their purpose is to help others using the money donated to them. They can't afford to run a large project for it to fail, like the public sector can.
                    I like the thought of working with a charity for a while

Comment

Working...
                    X