• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth moving to contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So am i the only one who quit his perm job without a contract lined up and with no warchest (well, 1 months worth), a stay at home wife, 2 toddlers, and a month holiday planned the day after leaving the permie role?

Some call it stupidity, others confidence..
    Last edited by l35kee; 1 June 2017, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
      So am i the only one who quit his perm job without a contract lined up and with no warchest (well, 1 months worth), a stay at home wife, 2 toddlers, and a month holiday planned the day after leaving the permie role?

Reckless?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Reckless?
        Most probably he/she is without a family. I also take risks, but always thinking that I'm the provider of my family and the baby won't ask me if I'm stupid or confident, but will only care if there is food on the table

Comment

Nope.

stay at home wife, 2 toddlers
          Originally posted by skysies View Post
          Most probably he/she is without a family. I also take risks, but always thinking that I'm the provider of my family and the baby won't ask me if I'm stupid or confident, but will only care if there is food on the table

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            Nope.
            Ah ok, I didn't see that. Agree, completely reckless, or she always knew the backup is to run up to daddy or mum and ask for some dough when the going gets tough.

Comment

Ah ok, I didn't see that. Agree, completely reckless, or she always knew the backup is to run up to daddy or mum and ask for some dough when the going gets tough.
              He*

I wish I had a "daddy or mum" that had enough money to give me.. (btw, your attitude is hilarious, I'm guessing you have had women troubles in the past huh?)

Anyhoo, it was a calculated risk, did a lot of ground work. And it paid off

Comment

Naïve is another term many might use!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Naïve is another term many might use!
                  It's only naive if you don't know what you're letting yourself in for!

Comment

He*

I wish I had a "daddy or mum" that had enough money to give me.. (btw, your attitude is hilarious, I'm guessing you have had women troubles in the past huh?)

Anyhoo, it was a calculated risk, did a lot of ground work. And it paid off
                    What troubles with women? I'm just saying that my family is above all, and I wouldn't put them at risk trying to prove to myself whether I'm stupid or confident...

Comment

What troubles with women? I'm just saying that my family is above all, and I wouldn't put them at risk trying to prove to myself whether I'm stupid or confident...
                      Like I said, calculated risk. I didn't just jump into a black whole.

I did it for my family. Even after only a few months our quality of life is better, about to move house near a fantastic school for when my oldest starts school, and I've built up savings in 2 months that would have taken me 2 years to previously.

It does sound like we have different outlooks on life. Ego was not part of my decision, but you keep bringing it up! I won't ever, ever look down on anyone trying to do the best for their family.

Comment

Working...
                      X