• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might quit contracting in the medium term, making apps and working on my own startup the now.

Comment

Tell all the agents that the first agents to place you will get £500 in a brown paper bag.

Finance is very quiet - a lot of offshoring. Brexit has not helped.

Personally I have bucked the trend. No-one is more amazed than me.

Comment

More and more roles in the EU the now though, and somehow the rates are rising.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          I'd have thought you'd have a fairly healthy warchest with that history and shouldn't be needing to panic about having a couple of months out
          Yes but he doesn't want to drop below £1 million in reserves

Comment

Finding it quiet

I'm in the same boat, finished end of Dec 16 and still looking. 10 years contracting in PMO/Finance but market is dead compared to previous years, Jan and Feb were a complete write off, March picked up but I was being picky. Thankfully I have a healthy warchest. Any contractors living hand to mouth are in for a rude awakening.

Interviewed last week and still waiting to hear back..... hey ho... onwards and upwards. Best advice to date is to 'be creative with the negatives' - Off for a bike ride now.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
              This is your problem. You are a beginner. You have only worked with one client and the job history (as a contractor) section on your CV is too short.
              It's nothing to do with him being a beginner or not. The market just disappeared. You'll be in for the same s**whether you have 2 years experience or 15. One reason is of course the suicidal decision to leave the EU. The other is that our Indian friends seem to have come here more than we expected or wanted...Go figure who's "Great" now..

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                It's nothing to do with him being a beginner or not. The market just disappeared. You'll be in for the same s**whether you have 2 years experience or 15. One reason is of course the suicidal decision to leave the EU. The other is that our Indian friends seem to have come here more than we expected or wanted...Go figure who's "Great" now..
                The market is still here, but different skills and mentality are in demand now. And I wouldn't worry about Indian friends. They are after the old jobs that are disappearing anyway. I don't see them implementing new technologies, new standards, new apps. I have worked with them on different projects and I met excellent programmers in niches that required rigid academic thinking (in a good way). They mostly failed when they were expected to come up with creative solutions that required good knowledge of the latest technologies. Anything outside the Microsoft universe is hard for them to adapt to. You can thank MS for training millions of IT people to not be a threat to the rest of the world that is happily using Open Source software.
                You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

The market is still here, but different skills and mentality are in demand now. And I wouldn't worry about Indian friends. They are after the old jobs that are disappearing anyway. I don't see them implementing new technologies, new standards, new apps. I have worked with them on different projects and I met excellent programmers in niches that required rigid academic thinking (in a good way). They mostly failed when they were expected to come up with creative solutions that required good knowledge of the latest technologies. Anything outside the Microsoft universe is hard for them to adapt to. You can thank MS for training millions of IT people to not be a threat to the rest of the world that is happily using Open Source software.
                  And can you tell me what will stop them from learning these "new technologies". It's wishful thinking on your part. It's dog eat dog out there, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                    And can you tell me what will stop them from learning these "new technologies". It's wishful thinking on your part. It's dog eat dog out there, I'm afraid.
                    Lack of experience working on projects that use them. With a CV that screams of MSFT software experience all they can hope for is another job in an MSFT environment. That applies equally to Indians, Brits, or any other nationality. I see similar problems with understanding the basics in the JS/Node.js/Full Stack camp...

You give them a Unix command line prompt and they are lost. You tell them to use Unix pipes and they can't tell STDIN from STDOUT. You tell them to kill the daemon hogging the socket and they think you're taking a piss.

But hey, they have the best beards in IT. No, I'm not worried. Their rates are plummeting while my rates are steadily growing.
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Lack of experience working on projects that use them. With a CV that screams of MSFT software experience all they can hope for is another job in an MSFT environment. That applies equally to Indians, Brits, or any other nationality. I see similar problems with understanding the basics in the JS/Node.js/Full Stack camp...

You give them a Unix command line prompt and they are lost. You tell them to use Unix pipes and they can't tell STDIN from STDOUT. You tell them to kill the daemon hogging the socket and they think you're taking a piss.

But hey, they have the best beards in IT. No, I'm not worried. Their rates are plummeting while my rates are steadily growing.
                      Ok, then you're in a privileged situation...

Comment

Working...
                      X