• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change of Discipline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Discipline

I was an analyst developer for around 10 years, 3 of those years as a contractor. All my roles had a large element of analysis and I decided to take the plunge and take a BA contract. I've been contracting as a BA for 18 months now but I've realised that development is what I really enjoy so I'm looking to try and move back to dev.

Is looking for a dev contract a lost cause? I've tried to keep my skillset up to date in my spare time, but the reality is that I haven't been a developer for 18 months. My experience is with a toolset that's still widely used in large organisations.

I'd rather not have to look for a perm opportunity but I don't fancy my chances applying for a dev contract.

Thoughts?

You are only as good as your last contract to an agent I am afraid so it's going to be tough if you have a normal CV in date order.

You could try changing your CV forgetting dates and just put the gigs that were most relevant to the one your applying for first. It shows you have the capability but the downside is its going to confuse the agents.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are only as good as your last contract to an agent I am afraid so it's going to be tough if you have a normal CV in date order.

You could try changing your CV forgetting dates and just put the gigs that were most relevant to the one your applying for first. It shows you have the capability but the downside is its going to confuse the agents.
      This, and bless them some ain't the brightest bunch when it comes to technology. Or life.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I don't think it will be a problem. You don't "forget" how to develop. The description of your last role should be kept very brief.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Can't you try some of your old clients when you were a dev?

Comment

Working...
          X