• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud AZURE and AWS contract roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a certified AWS Solutions Architect and I speak a lot at AWS meetups and conferences. Daily rate offers are pretty good. It's a good investment - not cheap but worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
      I'm a certified AWS Solutions Architect and I speak a lot at AWS meetups and conferences. Daily rate offers are pretty good. It's a good investment - not cheap but worthwhile.
      Just out of interest, how long have you been a SA and what's your background? Is the SA the only AWS qualification that you hold?

Comment

Originally posted by spongeym View Post
        Just out of interest, how long have you been a SA and what's your background? Is the SA the only AWS qualification that you hold?
        Originally, I'm from machine control software engineering but got bored of that a few years ago and took an opportunity as a perm to re-skill on a decent salary. I didn't just go straight for the SA qualification but built up to it over time. The course material is here (https://aws.amazon.com/certification...-professional/). Meetup groups are also a good way to meet others and learn.

The big thing about AWS is that if you are going to use it, then USE it. All of it. If you stick to EC2 VMs running everything then it's going to be super expensive. Use the services - for example, SQS instead of running RabbitMQ on EC2 instances, RDS instead of MySql on EC2 etc).

If you want more information, PM me.

(Edit) didn't answer the "how long" question: About three years or so

Comment

The big thing about AWS is that if you are going to use it, then USE it. All of it. If you stick to EC2 VMs running everything then it's going to be super expensive. Use the services - for example, SQS instead of running RabbitMQ on EC2 instances, RDS instead of MySql on EC2 etc).
          or, use an orchestrator on top of boggo EC2 instances to maximise value and avoid being completely locked in to the AWS platform and pricing

Comment

At my gig we use azure and blob alot. Linking them all was a a disaster until SSIS for azure/blob came along.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
              or, use an orchestrator on top of boggo EC2 instances to maximise value and avoid being completely locked in to the AWS platform and pricing
              Well, there are very different use cases and it is most certainly a case of "one size fits none". I've heard the lock-in argument so many times but I don't have much time for it really. If you have made a business decision to adopt a technology then make the best use of it. If you do a half-arsed solution then it's going to suck. You don't architect around not having vendor lock-in for Oracle for example; you make a decision to use Oracle and then have to optimise around i.

Comment

So you have actively worked as a AWS solutions architect for 3 years? Do you highly require these coding stuff during your day to day work? lke them json puppet, chef etc . (Are they killer to learn? - as i am coming from Vmwware enviroment .. what do you think?)

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
                  So you have actively worked as a AWS solutions architect for 3 years? Do you highly require these coding stuff during your day to day work? lke them json puppet, chef etc . (Are they killer to learn? - as i am coming from Vmwware enviroment .. what do you think?)

You misunderstand - I have been certified for three years. Coding - I don't do much of that any more, I'm actually a permie pointy haired boss right now - although I still maintain one commercial system. I can't say that I have ever heard json being described as "coding" but chef yes I use a lot along with ansible.

Comment

Working...
                  X