• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would You take a gig that's 20% less than your usual day rate to avoid the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent View Post
    Yes, take it. I see this exact situation every single day. It's simple maths, and a false economy to wait 2 months for a higher rate contract.

That said, only you know what you need to live on, if the low rate means that you can't pay your mortage then get a perm job..
    Haha. Says the agent who will use this info to drive your rate even lower.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
      It changes your perspective when you do have a few months on the bench.
      I can imagine it does!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I worked with a guy who would do a gig in London for 500/600 a day then, if there was nothing around, take one for almost half that.

For him it was keep on invoicing. He wasn't proud he just said it's best to be gigging rather than sitting on the bench.

Mind you he was Scottish.

Personally I would have to say if location was really close/WFH then yes.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I always keep an eye on the market so I know what to expect.

I applied early before the last gig finished because the market wasn't looking so good (late last year) and was prepared to take a cut to get work if rates fell.

A few year back (2009 I think) I did take a 25% cut to stay in work.

Comment

I think in the current climate taking anything is better than having nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              I think in the current climate taking anything is better than having nothing.
              My missus doesn't always agree with that after a had day's work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                My missus doesn't always agree with that after a had day's work.
                Give her a trade discount then

Comment

Just started one at 20% below my usual day rate myself.

I'm getting AngularJS 2.0 out of it so I'm prepared to take the cut as I'm skilling up on the job. Project is interesting & they seem a good crowd.

But, I wouldn't do the sorts of soul destroying gigs I've done for people like Crapita on this rate.

Comment

I made the mistake of being picky and turning down a role because the office was like a soulless prison in the middle of nowhere because I had quite a bit of cash still in the business and wasn't desperate for work !

turned out i was on the bench for the length of that contract and now in a perm role :-(

if I had taken that contract I could have now been looking at cash in the bank and summer off !

i'd easily take a 20% pay cut in future !

Comment

I go for the role first, rate second. I'd rather take an interesting role that improves my CV for future roles, than take a bland role that does nothing for my CV but is a higher rate. Sometimes a lower rate today is an investment for tomorrow
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X