• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to permie Salary Worth it ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Phone, email, face to face, carrier pigeon, smoke signal, semaphore...
    Boot contacting arse if you aren't careful sonny jim!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Boot contacting arse if you aren't careful sonny jim!!
      Admit it - you've missed this
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Interesting comments from the regulars. You'd wonder why anyone was a contractor....

Comment

Originally posted by munkee View Post
          Interesting comments from the regulars. You'd wonder why anyone was a contractor....
          Just stating some cold hard truths to someone mistakenly thinking an income comparison between a gig and perm job (which are not comparable) is all there is to it.

If he can take all the bad stuff on and make it work he'll cut it. If he's jumping in to a 3 month gig at 500 quid thinking he'll make more than 90k then he could have a very bad learning experience. All part of well rounded advice if you ask me.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Invoice £118000
            Corporation tax £23600
            Net £94400

How do you get to 78% take home?
            I'm glad you asked! PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Just stating some cold hard truths to someone mistakenly thinking an income comparison between a gig and perm job (which are not comparable) is all there is to it.

If he can take all the bad stuff on and make it work he'll cut it. If he's jumping in to a 3 month gig at 500 quid thinking he'll make more than 90k then he could have a very bad learning experience. All part of well rounded advice if you ask me.

I agree, a contractor saying his contract has "x years" of life needs to see a shrink.

As an example:

My first contract, it was a lonnnnnnnng project and I was on a great rate. Woohoo! Let the spending begin!

4 months in, a major change within the buyer and suddenly the contract team I was part of shrunk from just under 30 contractors to only 6 of us... Yes, where there was a whole large room of people, there was suddenly only enough of us to fit in a small office...

A great lesson I learned right at the start of my contracting career - make sure you hit the floor running from the word go and never ever assume a contract is long, work as if it is as long as the notice period and ensure you have taken so much on so quickly, that letting you go would be an issue

Never assume! We are contractors and the market is lethal. We are a commodity which can be let go easily and quickly. Permiedom on the other hand... no matter what the exceptions, in general is nowhere near like that.

Comment

£90K for a permie is a no brainer really, especially in the market lately. BUT... there's just something about pulling in 6 figures. £100K+ is the 'we've made it club'.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
                  £90K for a permie is a no brainer really, especially in the market lately. BUT... there's just something about pulling in 6 figures. £100K+ is the 'we've made it club'.
                  I would rather contract with my own company and earn 100k than earn it as a permie.
                  The mere thought of the goals and performance reviews would make me sick.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    I would rather contract with my own company and earn 100k than earn it as a permie.
                    The mere thought of the goals and performance reviews would make me sick.
                    365 performance review...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      365 performance review...
                      Due to the business reaching it's targets this year we are happy to inform you that from the start of April your annual salary will increase by 1.3%.

Congratulations and well done team!

In other news sadly we are unable to offer free parking at our head office. Please follow this link to see our hourly charges.

Comment

Working...
                      X