• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to permie Salary Worth it ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with above. Are you taking into account travel, if you think you will be a "travelling contractor" my view is, it's a no brainer go for the perm. If you are working in banks in London, what do you reckon the market will be in 6 months to a year, because to be honest I think it will be more likely to be difficult than easy.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't think in current climate, that you are much safer in Perm. Some of banks are running redundancy cycles every 6 months.

At then the end of the day everybody makes their own decisions based on personal preferences and situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Agree with above. Are you taking into account travel, if you think you will be a "travelling contractor" my view is, it's a no brainer go for the perm. If you are working in banks in London, what do you reckon the market will be in 6 months to a year, because to be honest I think it will be more likely to be difficult than easy.
        I know people who have taken permanent jobs then 1-2 years later they have been made redundant.

Some have been lucky and paid redundancy but others haven't.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Just a general comment, someone I know went in for a similar deal, previously on £550 PD.
          Around 97K basic, I believe.

He said he has never felt so short of money.

He also has a 3 month notice period factored in now too.
          If your mate feels short of cash whilst on a £97k salary then he's got 99 problems and money management is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            If your mate feels short of cash whilst on a £97k salary then he's got 99 problems and money management is one of them.
            Agreed. Average salary for the UK (ie c70 million people) is around £24k

And here we are arguing about £100k vs £120k

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              All relative, especially as he had earned £500 PD back to back for the previous 10 years.

Hence he felt short of money by comparison.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                I don't think in current climate, that you are much safer in Perm. Some of banks are running redundancy cycles every 6 months.
                Agreed. The disadvantage with perm in that sort of climate is that if you see the axe is about to fall, your notice period makes it difficult to jump quickly to something else. As a contractor, with just two weeks notice and a general expectation that the role is soon to disappear, grabbing a new role is easier, and in my experience is seen as understandable by the boss you're leaving, as long as you do a good handover.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys,

To add a bit more detail to the specifics of each role :

Contract role 500/day:
                  - walk commutable
                  - 9-5 most days
                  - old tech

Permie role 90k/yr:
                  - car commutable (30mins)
                  - 9-7+ often
                  - cutting edge tech

So the contract role is very comfy, next to home, no travel expenses, sleep more and more free time. The permie one would look better on my CV due to the tech, would learn more and for free, but is a bit more intensive.... for me these pros & cons cancel each other out.

In terms of bench time, I consider the contract to be easily extensible for another 1-3 years, similarly the permie job could be made redundant any time as they cut a lot of jobs at least once a year so I am not taking this into account at all, I am assuming I will be working continuously regardless.

The ONE thing that is really pulling me to the 90k role is, my last permie salary was 55k, so I think getting a 90k perm salary in my job history might help negotiate in future roles. Whereas when they ask me "what was your last perm salary?" and the answer is 55k, it puts me in an unfavorable negotiating position? Has anyone had an experience like this?

Comment

Originally posted by newcontract View Post
                    Thanks for the responses guys,

To add a bit more detail to the specifics of each role :

Contract role 500/day:
                    - walk commutable
                    - 9-5 most days
                    - old tech

Permie role 90k/yr:
                    - car commutable (30mins)
                    - 9-7+ often
                    - cutting edge tech
                    Again you can't compare like this. It's like comparing Oranges with Donkey Balls. The contract role is short term. Could end in 3 months or before you've even walked through the door. The next one could be 3 months off and the other end of the country. Take the perm role as you just don't understand the contracting aspect.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 March 2017, 10:35.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Take the perm role as you just don't understand the contacting aspect.
                      Phone, email, face to face, carrier pigeon, smoke signal, semaphore...
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X