• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    OMG

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Brave with an infraction. Maybe you aren't taking it seriously enough.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        No, you didn't make it clear that it was another contractor. It's you. Sorry.
        Why not just say then? It's quite easy to do.... another contractor was told exactly why they were being canned, due to their poor management style and inability to get on with another person. I asked three separate client stakeholders, including my boss who is also in fact a contractor and all said there was no negative feedback or problem with my performance. It's a re-org or 'shake-up' (!).

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
          Why not just say then? It's quite easy to do.... another contractor was told exactly why they were being canned, due to their poor management style and inability to get on with another person. I asked three separate client stakeholders, including my boss who is also in fact a contractor and all said there was no negative feedback or problem with my performance. It's a re-org or 'shake-up' (!).
          You're not entitled to feedback. You've asked and got the only answer you will get, truthful or not truthful. Best this is to accept it with professional grace and wrap everything up as well as you can for a handover. This is usually remembered. If you need to sound off about it, this is a good enough place if you don't mind the old man giving you a hard time, but din';t do it on client site.

Start looking for your next thing.

Comment

So what do I say to other potential clients? The truth? I just get the impression that clients and agencies alike become rather suspicious when you explain your contract was terminated early due to a re-org. Sounds like a lame reason. Another contractor friend of mine advised I just say my contract was a 3 month one to avoid questions but I'm not so sure about telling porkies...
            Your contract is no business of a future client. All they need to know is what you did, for whom, and for how long. End of.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Oh you are still moaning.

The client decided they didn't need your particular skills.

Now move on and start looking for a new contract. You have already been told what to say by other posters if asked why your contract ended.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They're being polite about shafting you. If it's a re-org, what's the new contractor going to be doing that you couldn't? I could understand it, for example, if you're a software guy but they wanted someone with more networking experience. It's them then, not you. That said, it's over, so as long as you can say that there was a re-org and you were a victim of politics, you will be fine. Or blame it on Brexit, lots of management failings will be this year.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Oh you are still moaning.

The client decided they didn't need your particular skills.

Now move on and start looking for a new contract. You have already been told what to say by other posters if asked why your contract ended.
                  People need somewhere to complain and better here than at the client site. I can see that it's annoying to be given notice like that.

Comment

OP seems a bit snowflakey by wanting a reason / justification for being canned.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, find a new gig and carry on invoicing.

Rinse and repeat.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      You're not entitled to feedback. You've asked and got the only answer you will get, truthful or not truthful. Best this is to accept it with professional grace and wrap everything up as well as you can for a handover. This is usually remembered. If you need to sound off about it, this is a good enough place if you don't mind the old man giving you a hard time, but din';t do it on client site.

Start looking for your next thing.
                      I agree that you cannot force someone to give you feedback. Professionally inside a contractor, it is good idea to get a feedback once a month. Even if it is casual, it shows that you care about your career. In might even, depending on the answers, you get back provide a klaxon bell about situations like this one: being canned.

Comment

Working...
                      X