• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    I agree that you cannot force someone to give you feedback. Professionally inside a contractor, it is good idea to get a feedback once a month. Even if it is casual, it shows that you care about your career. In might even, depending on the answers, you get back provide a klaxon bell about situations like this one: being canned.
    It makes you sound like a bloody permie. Get a grip.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I agree that you cannot force someone to give you feedback. Professionally inside a contractor, it is good idea to get a feedback once a month. Even if it is casual, it shows that you care about your career. In might even, depending on the answers, you get back provide a klaxon bell about situations like this one: being canned.
      Point being as an experienced, seasoned contractor you should be worrying more about Client Cos delivery to you.
      This could be material or simply decisions.

When I go in somewhere I'm advising them what they need to do, how good I am and that and the delivery is what the client will be looking at.
      I wouldn't expect to ask them how they thought I was getting on
      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 29 March 2017, 10:19.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I was at one client that insisted on a supplier review for every contract/extension. I was more than happy to play. It was all worded towards a full review of deliverables to schedule, risks, future plan, review of resources supplied, signed by a director etc. Same one they do for any supplier. All very good IR35 fodder so was actually pretty happy to go along with it.

Asking a client manager for a casual 'how I am I doing' chat. No thanks.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
          Why not just say then? It's quite easy to do.... another contractor was told exactly why they were being canned, due to their poor management style and inability to get on with another person. I asked three separate client stakeholders, including my boss who is also in fact a contractor and all said there was no negative feedback or problem with my performance. It's a re-org or 'shake-up' (!).
          After spending over a year on the bench my 3 month contract was suddenly terminated 2 weeks early - even though there was still work to do. The agent said it was because the client had canned some other projects and they needed to redeploy some of their own employees. I was not happy at the time but stayed professional at all times. I did request a contact to provide a reference as this was the first time I have had a contract terminated early.
          I have just accepted a new contract with another agency and a new client at the best rate I've had in my 6 years as a contractor.

My advice is to move on and get looking for a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butcher View Post
            After spending over a year on the bench my 3 month contract was suddenly terminated 2 weeks early - even though there was still work to do. The agent said it was because the client had canned some other projects and they needed to redeploy some of their own employees. I was not happy at the time but stayed professional at all times. I did request a contact to provide a reference as this was the first time I have had a contract terminated early.
            I have just accepted a new contract with another agency and a new client at the best rate I've had in my 6 years as a contractor.

My advice is to move on and get looking for a new contract.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It makes you sound like a bloody permie. Get a grip.
              I'm afraid that you are mixing concepts based in ignorance, unfortunately, you are not the only here and very common in some ex-permies.

You are confusing it with formal performance evaluation and Best Practices procedures. A service that is delivery oriented must have step/procedures that include feedback from the client. You have the right to disagree but in my opinion, the advice from rocktronAMP is a good advice, I do it myself and prevents the OP situation.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                I'm afraid that you are mixing concepts based in ignorance, unfortunately, you are not the only here and very common in some ex-permies.

You are confusing it with formal performance evaluation and Best Practices procedures. A service that is delivery oriented must have step/procedures that include feedback from the client. You have the right to disagree but in my opinion, the advice from rocktronAMP is a good advice, I do it myself and prevents the OP situation.

HTH
                I do usually hear feed back in any case as, of course, it is usually offered.
                it is not certainly anything I would ask for.

Anyway, I tend to judge feedback purely in the terms and extensions and further income generation.
                Has worked for me for a long time.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I do usually hear feed back in any case as, of course, it is usually offered.
                  it is not certainly anything I would ask for.

Anyway, I tend to judge feedback purely in the terms and extensions and further income generation.
                  Has worked for me for a long time.
                  I guess, and that's the best I can do from that bloody sentence... that Bee is calling you an ignorant ex-permie cock womble. I wouldn't stand for that if I were you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The people who were actually doing a decent job that I've been really pleased to see the back of all had one thing in common. They stank to high heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I guess, and that's the best I can do from that bloody sentence... that Bee is calling you an ignorant ex-permie cock womble. I wouldn't stand for that if I were you.
                      Yeh, well, I am a little new to this contracting game and haven't contracted for anyone major to speak of.

A complete failure
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X