• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delayed start date and

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zsat01 View Post
    You won't believe it I was also in the permanent role for 7 years but good salary I would have got redundancy in 2 months time. Maybe it is fate and your story sounds motivating!
    So the agent has cost you thousands in lost potential redundancy and lost potential revenue. He won't care. Welcome to the recruitment industry who deserve the bad name they get.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You won't believe it I was also in the permanent role for 7 years but good salary I would have got redundancy in 2 months time. Maybe it is fate and your story sounds motivating!
      That was silly.

You ALWAYS wait for the redundancy money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        So the agent has cost you thousands in lost potential redundancy and lost potential revenue. He won't care. Welcome to the recruitment industry who deserve the bad name they get.
        I really hope there is a regulatory body which will deal with cases like these. I find it unfair and hard to digest.

But it looks like it's quiet normal based on the comments here!

Comment

I really hope there is a regulatory body which will deal with cases like these. I find it unfair and hard to digest.

There isn't.

The only thing you have is a contract and if you sign it without understanding it - the majority of people posting here use professional reviewers - then you are screwed.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not really fate I was young & highly naïve! Now I'm 21 years older & highly astute!! The agency just lied as most do to make you a disposable asset as & when they require your skillset. You have only lost 2 months salary then so just try to find another perm role & also look for contracts at the same time. Its much easier to find another perm role if you have a perm background than make the jump to contracting right now anyway. Always remind yourself that agents can easily detect if your inexperienced at contracting & will exploit that no matter how friendly they appear to be most will be trying it on to gain a financial advantage. Do not give up no matter how bad things appear its a difficult market for many so if you feel you have to take a more junior role & junior salary to avoid lengthy gaps on your CV.

Comment

Contracting isn't (supposed to be) a worker to employer relationship, it is a business to business relationship. As such, the notion of employment rights or regulatory bodies doesn't really apply. It is more akin to a business asking Cap Gemini/IBM/Accenture/ECS/Mitie/Unisys/Dynorod/KPMG to provide people to deliver a one-off objective. The difference is it is you as a freelancer rather than a great big massive corporate ****.

The bit that should have got your attention was the original job spec suggesting an term of 3 months or maybe 6 months. This should have rung alarm bells that job security isn't what contracting is about.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                Contracting isn't (supposed to be) a worker to employer relationship, it is a business to business relationship. As such, the notion of employment rights or regulatory bodies doesn't really apply. It is more akin to a business asking Cap Gemini/IBM/Accenture/ECS/Mitie/Unisys/Dynorod/KPMG to provide people to deliver a one-off objective. The difference is it is you as a freelancer rather than a great big massive corporate ****.

The bit that should have got your attention was the original job spec suggesting an term of 3 months or maybe 6 months. This should have rung alarm bells that job security isn't what contracting is about.
                You could go one step further, which you did allude. It's a supplier/client relationship so its not truly equal which some people seem to forget.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Was it canned or bummed by HMRC?
                  was he bummed in the carpark ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    was he bummed in the carpark ?
                    It was a bus lane. I got bummed in a bus lane.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      It was a bus lane. I got bummed in a bus lane.
                      You heard it here first, folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X